12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some local folks get into discussions regarding
deer that have been photographed by their
trail cameras at their leases. seems that some
think if a particular deer has been photographed
frequently in their designated area that this is
"their " deer and all others should refrain from
a shot opportunity if it shows up elsewhere.
this logic flies straight over my head. i know
things are way different since the popularity of
"hunting" shows and videos have taken over,
and taking a big racked deer has now taken
precedence over one that is not so well endowed
with large antlers, and meat is secondary to most. have
things changed that much since i've been on a lease ? :-\

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I don't hunt on a lease but if a buck with a nice rack shows up near one of my blinds during season I will take a crack at him. Despite what the state thinks no one owns a deer till it is down and tagged, any one think other wise is crazy.

:) Al

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
In the Woods, all hunters should be well aware, or MADE AWARE, of the First-To-Sight-While-Hunting Rule, which means that deer is ON THE GROUND regardless of "dibs" placed on it by some idiotic thinking.

No one can "stake claim" to Nature's Resource. If the Poor Sport had wanted that deer for himself, he should have kept his Trail Camera pictures to himself. Letting that Cat out of the Bag just ruined any chance he had of making it his own, unless Mother Nature helps him to it. The other locals should denounce such statements of "ownership" as selfish and immature.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
The other locals should denounce such statements of "ownership" as selfish and immature.

Yep and you could add "stupid" but that might demean your testimony.

A live animal not inside a high fence is just another of mother natures gifts if you are good, and that only. Like bacon is a gift a pig gives you if you are good! :)

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
venison for consumption is pretty
much secondary around here any more,
and has taken a very distant back seat
to trophy headgear. i would guess that
there are quite a few that would cut off
the head and leave the rest lay if it wasn't
against the law. i have a relative that has
said as much that he would.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Discerning hunters here in Southeast Texas have a saying- "You can't eat horns" I was on a lease here for the last four years and bagged,(I hate to use harvested) 4 doe and three cull spikes. never saw a "Trophy" that was legal to shoot.( horns outside the ears) I saw many 8 points that I could only watch.

This only encourages "Trophy hunters" and discourages new young hunters. I have mixed emotions about the Texas regs.

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Oldshooter said:
...bagged,(I hate to use harvested)...
Feel good words pander to the Politically Correct, anti- and non-hunters, but say nothing about the reality of what it is that we really do.

Just say killed. You will feel better soon. After all, it is what we as Hunters do to the game we hunt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hear the my deer thing lots around where I hunt, since trail cams its gotten worse, some seem to think if they've got pictures of an animal or its crossed their land it is their property, its really sad how selfish and jealous some people are. If it comes on my property I don't worry about who's land it crossed to get here or who has pictures of it, I have a license and it doesn't take a back seat to some other persons licence because of their selfish claims of ownership of wildlife.

Unfortunately this kind of thinking seems to be getting more popular, sad to see this way of thinking getting passed down and more and more sportsman not acting sportsmanlike.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
more and more folks are hitting the outdoors
in search of fodder for bragging rights, and
they're missing out on the whole point, and
missing the satisfaction of just being out in
god's outdoors. some fishing is as bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In hunt clubs I used to be a member of there was always some kind of drama from somebody whining about "their deer" being killed by somebody else. Glad my current hunt club isn't that way. If anything we are 180 degrees from that because we share information all the time, especially to new members.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts