Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share a pic of my favorite H&R. It started out as a 410 Tamer which I sent the receiver in for a 20 ga 22" mod barrel. I bought the stock set years ago from choate when they sold the camo ones. I've carried this shotgun in all sorts of weather conditions and it still looks like new. I know many people talk about a bug out/survival type gun and this would be the one I would grab if necessary. Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I agree, if I could only keep one it would be my 20 gauge Pardner.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
If I hadn't started accumulating everything in 12 ga many moons ago I'd have gone with the 20 ga. IMHO they are more efficient for their size. I just like to KISS.

·
Registered
602 Posts
With 4 20ga 158's and 1 12ga barrel, and 1 versa pak, i guess you can add the 20 as my favorite also. Us them regularly, the 12 occasionally , the versa pak is jist a settin. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Can't beat the 20ga for a woods roaming gun. That's a fine looking example.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Slackdaddy said:
Looking to get a tamer 20ga and set it up the same as yours.
What fore end and butt stock are those?

Slack
Standard H&R/choate adult shotgun butt stock and the fore arm is a choate store arm H&R uses them on their survivor guns ;D I have one set up the same way

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is my kind of forum! I've assembled a Tamer 20 like [email protected]'s with the addition of a Streamlight TLR-3 and picattiny rail [ relocated the forearm swivel stud aft the light ], and a Pardner Youth 20 exactly like SpookyPisolero's. If I can ever figure out how to post photos on the internet, I'll show off the Tamers light set-up.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Nice shotguns! My current is a 12 ga Turkey model with the factory 24" barrel, screw chokes. Getting ready to do a 20, Limbsaver pad, Choate Store-Arm, and hopefully cut to 18" threaded for chokes. Currently waiting for Colonial Arms to tell me whether this barrel is thick enough for threading. Otherwise it'll stay a 26" full. A better survival gun than a properly set up single shotgun has never been made.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Gang,

I'm with you on the Shorty/Compact/Bug Out guns. There are alot of Handi and versatile shotguns on this post that are well thought out and very useful tools. I would like to share my Shorty again with everybody too. My is used for small game, rabbits and squirrel. If everthing goes as plan in will have an addictional 18.5" 20 ga. smooth bore barrel ready for the 2010 Deer season. I'm also adding the scope rail and a 2 power scope.

Froghunter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
You just can't go wrong with a H&R 20ga for a woods roaming gun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I like it. I'm going to have to get myself a Tamer just for the barrel.I have the long modified, the Tracker 1 and a 28 ga barrel for mine ,but I realy like the 20 inch barrel.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I just did my first barrel fit it was a 20ga 22" mod barrel. took about 10 minutes to fit. Had a syntetick stock and forearm. Swapped the beafier forearm off my 44 mag. Haveing a scope rail put on so I can put a red dot on it.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
TF,

I'm liking the new Tamer with woodstocks. Alot like the synthetic stock set, but I favor the Wood. Very shape looking Shorty. I also like you avtar of Mr. Bear arrow the big bear. I remember reading The Outdoor Life story of that hunt.

Froghunter

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know it's an old thread but I thought I'd share mine. 20 gauge youth Pardner, love the 22" barrel. Got this one off Gunbroker for $60. Barrel and receiver were rusted so I lost the case coloring on the receiver sanding off the rust. Originally blued the barrel but ended up hitting it with Rustoleum grill paint.

Made up a 1" sling and shotshell holder for it. Swapped out the wood fore end for the Choate storage forend. Nice to be able to take it down without tools. Being able to store some gear inside is also nice. Keeping the wood stock since it has a recoil pad.

The simplicity and versatility of the single shot 20 makes it a great woods gun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.