Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided a while back that I wanted to try making my own knife. I started with some old files and completed the annealing in my backyard fire pit with charcoal and a hair dryer. Rough shaping was done with a grinder with cut off wheel. The grinder with different wheel smoothed out the edges. main grind was done with a cheap belt grinder. heat treatment was done with some old bricks and a propane torch then dipped in old oil. the pins are brass brazing rods and the wood is from a local shop. epoxy holds it all together.
the shapes are very basic and I didn't spend any time trying to polish the blades. these guys are made to work. I prefer a short blade for skinning and a large handle, I have big mits.
these were my first attempts. I have a few more to make with full tang then I will try for a different style handle. I can't decide between a partial tang or hidden.
for you guys with more experience at this, any suggestions on handle styles that are not too difficult DIY. the full tang was easy that's why they came first.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
definitely addictive. just finished 4 more. will add pics soon.
picked up a small band saw. that makes life easier.
working out my plans for homemade 2x72 belt sander.
my current dilemma....I have no idea what to charge for these things. been selling for $40 each just to pay for sandpaper and other supplies.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
everything is for sale!

I have sold most of them to friends but still have several. im just making them for fun.
which one were you looking at?

wasn't trying to advertise on here. just showing off and getting some feedback.

as I make them my buddies give me feedback on what they like and new designs they want to see if I can make.
im starting on some new files next week. half round! I have never seen a knife made from a half round so im gonna give it a shot. blades should have very unique look to them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUESTION for the makers out there. have any of you made a knife from a half round file?

if so, what type of bevel did you use? or recommend?
I was thinking that chisel would be the easiest but Im just guessing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
few more. i think im getting better. finally got some sharpening wheels for bench grinder. wow! so much easier than the lansky.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Hey smithd1:
Looking good, first build or not. A time consuming effort but it gives a great feeling of
accomplishment in making one from a piece of flat metal.
I can't wait too see your efforts as time goes by.
Keep up the great work and watch them fingers. I have a few scars from the grinding wheels
as well as the blades. ha ha
safety first
HM

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.