Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
24,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres my recipe for Italian sausage. It makes good breakfast sausage too. If you like it with more bite double the crushed red pepper. (my wife wont let me)

12lbs meat. Use any combo of venison/pork. I like no less then 7lbs ground pork but to 5lbs of venison. I usually do 8lbs pork to 4 lbs venison.
Mix 1 cup of dry powdered milk and one cup of water add to meat
1/4 cup vegetable oil.
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/8 cup black pepper
2tab sp. calaway seeds
1 tab sp crushed red pepper
1 tab sp +1 tea spoon garlic powder
1 tab sp onion powder
1 tee spoon cinnamon
1 tee spoon mace
1 tee sp Italian seasoning
1 tee sp fennel seeds
1 tee sp white pepper
2 tee sp allspice
2 tee sp marjoram
2 tee sp parsley
1 tee sp celery seed
1 tee sp ground sage

Good bulk in lasagna, spegetti or on pizza. Also good if you make rectangle pattys to fit on French bread and serve with fried onions, peppers and mushrooms. First take the bread and put moz. cheese on it and put it under the broiler to melt. It also makes good brats or even breakfast sausage links or in bulk for breakfast. Kind of my general purpose sausage.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
would this have the right flavor
leaving out the fennel seed and
caraway seed ? i'm not really
fond of either one.

·
24,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never tried it but cant see why it would make it taste bad. maybe a little blander. A guy could throw more red pepper in I guess

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i didn't know if it would be workable or not.
i can't get past that licorice type odor and
flavor those 2 things give to sausage. a
buddy and i made a cooler full of venison
into a kind of italian sausage some years ago
and i couldn't eat any of it after the first
taste of it with those spices in it. maybe if
i tried more pepper like you say with additional
garlic and sage. . .

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Ranger99 said:
i didn't know if it would be workable or not.
i can't get past that licorice type odor and
flavor those 2 things give to sausage. a
buddy and i made a cooler full of venison
into a kind of italian sausage some years ago
and i couldn't eat any of it after the first
taste of it with those spices in it. maybe if
i tried more pepper like you say with additional
garlic and sage. . .
-
I like it witnout the caraway and fennel and use a good bit of basil and a little oregano.

·
24,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
theres actually some basil and oregano In this mix too. Its in the Italian seasoning. Ive been fine tuning this mix for years and I did make a note on it next year to try a bit more Italian seasoning in it so if you try adding more of those let me know how it turned out. There is a local italian sausage that's sold around here called cudighi it was brought over by Italian imigrants. There are so many recipes for it around here that it will make your head spin. The best ive had was at a local pizza place when I was a kid and the lady that had it got it from someone else and swore not to even let her daughter have it. For about 10 years ive tried to match what I remember and this is as close as ive gotten but to be honest its still not there. There just seems to be a magic ingredient missing and even talking to her daughter I cant figure it out. Most that have tried this though really like it and say its one of the best attempts at that recipe. Cool thing about sausage is you can make it anyway you want. If you don't like something take it out. If you want to try add something take a lb out and try it on just that. Worse case senerio is the dog gets a treat. I quit buying the ready made store mixes. There just to much salt and not much else.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Last commercial bulk that I bought was sage sausage, how can you mess that up? Well start by not putting any sage in it and then use only fat and salt for the meat. Sick.
-
Is the ladies sausage still be available? IF so get another good cook to taste taste it. They might pick up sometiing that you missed.
-
Since I lost most of my sence of smell I mostly have to "remember" what things taste like.

·
24,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive done that and the answer I allways seem to get is "your is closer to it then mine and if you find the exact mix please give it to me too". Like I said even her daughter doesn't know. I makes her kind of mad because she owns a bar now and would use it herself. She said her mother died after a short illness and she never though she was going to die and never thought to ask. She said her mother never wrote it down because she figured if she did it would get out and it was her money maker at her restaurant. People would drive a 100 miles just to have one of her cudighi burgers. I like this mix but it just doesn't hold a candle to hers and its been 20 years now since ive had one of hers so its hard to figure in my head whats missing. Like I said too im one of at least a dozen who are trying and two I know are even butchers and will admit they don't know. My recipe was a combination of mine and one of the butchers and he now sells the same blend I make. But it still doesn't hold a candle to the real recipe. I guess I guy would about have to go to Italy to find it. Ive tried every recipe on the internet. Some are decent some are just weak Italian sausage recipes. Its one of lifes mysteries that I will probably never solve :mad:

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Hey Lloyd! I just sent you a PM asking for your Venison Brat recipe. Since I just printed this one out, why don't you post the Brat one for me! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts