Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squirrel season opens the 15th just 3 days away. Big population, do not see a problem with getting a 5 squirrel limit from just one spot this year from several spots.
No pheasant's in the area been a rare thing to see any since about 2003 when we had a week of freezing rain and little cover for the birds.

Rabbits I am seeing a few each time I walk the pup.

Deer: the bucks have abandoned their groups and are traveling with does and fawns, I have at least 4 different bucks using and being seen on my little plot of property. They have lost their velvet & are starting to polish the hardened antlers. 90% of the fawn only have very faded spots there are some still on the small side with spots yet. Most of the deer except the fawns have lost their red summer coats and are growing in there winter gray coat.

Coyotes have found better places to hang out it seems. Have not heard any evening music in several months. None have came to any of the calls used in 3 months in this area either.

:) Al

·
24,003 Posts
deer not looking good around here. This is by far the slowest crop damage shooting year in the last 10. Could be this miserable hot weather though. But I sure haven't been seeing many deer. Been years wed see 50 a night and this year were lucky to see one or two.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention the turkeys. I came around the corner on one of my paths the pup and I walk thru the brush and spy a turkey in the next door horse pasture. As I clear the brush and can see better there is a older hen and 10 teen age polts. There is another flock that has 2 adult hens and 18 polts of two different sizes.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Years ago, when I was deer hunting and had deer around me, the deer would run off if ANY turkeys came around. I guess the deer got more use to them, because they don't do that so much any longer, AS LONG as the turkeys don't run all over like they some times do. IF they start moving around too fast, the deer will leave...

I really don't like having turkeys around, more than once I've made noise to get them to leave!

DM

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My hunting partner swore the turkeys spoiled the deer hunting where he hunted with his sons. Said the turkeys were scaring the deer.
I know they scared the crap out of me the other day.
I was walking thru the over grown field next door looking for some autumn olive berries and walked into flock. I had turkeys running in every direction and flying too just beating the crap out of the olive limbs. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up as well as on my arms.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have seen a couple mature bucks in the last 2 weeks. They took off all the corn around me yesterday so the deer can not hide in there any longer. I am happy about that.

Has also cooled down a bit so feels more like hunting season.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
alleyyooper said:
My hunting partner swore the turkeys spoiled the deer hunting where he hunted with his sons. Said the turkeys were scaring the deer.
MANY years ago around here, that was true, the turkeys would scare the he!! out of the deer when they got around them, BUT that's just not the case at all, any longer,

When I sit for deer, many times the turkeys will travel the same trails the deer do, right into the same open fields the deer are in...

DM

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
if we are wishing.. i want a 10 point to stand broadside to me at 25 yards ;)
and close his eyes, and wait for me to shoot him in the pump. and then drop dead right in his tracks ;D

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not wishing which is a waste of time. Just stating what I like.
Our forecast for opening day is for mid 50F temp, rest of the week is for mid 40Fat night and high 50's and low 60's for the day time temps.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
It's snowing out right now, thing is it's 42* out and the ground is warm, so there will be no snow on the ground and I'm fine with that...

DM

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
good luck to all you hunters ! i hope we all have a great opening day hunt.

its sounds like it will be 30's at night and about 50 for a high on opening day without any snow and a light wind.

not the best of conditions but it will work. a small buck has been keeping his rubs near my stand fresh, so i hope to see him.

anyhow .. the best of luck to you

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Last nights weather forecast, Saginaw station, Clio, Flint and all the Detroit stations said Clear Sunday and Monday then rain every day after that till a week from Sunday.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
i listen to 162.525 ( mt plesant ) for my weather , but the report sounds the same.

not quite cold enough, no snow , possible rain and overcast

i guess ill hunt it like it comes ;)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My weather station says 44F right now at a quarter to 5. I will be in my blind at 6:30.
Had a 4 point hanging around all day down by the creek yesterday even when I was running the chipper shredder Noisy thing.
Any way with it so warm will get one today and butcher it up ASAP and wait till that is done to get my second one.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.