Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys:

Just thought I would show you some pics I have of tmy 338-06 that Wayne of Orengunsmithing did for me.I think Wayne does excellent work and highly recommend him to anyone wanting some quality work done for our Handi's.
As most here know...Quickdtoo and myself settled on having this caliber done from a 25-06 Ultra Barrel......I asked for the cartridge nomenclature filed off and the new caliber engraved in it's place.....heck Wayne went quite a bit further with mine...he not only did that...but removed all the warning's stamped and everything else as well...then he bead blasted it and rebluded it...and then remarked the barrel...the finish is a really nice smooth even coating as hopefully you can see in the pictures.He charges only $50.00 for this service...which I think adds a truely custom look to our guns...

I have my Leupold VX-1 4 x 12 on it..sitting in the Leupold QRW's...all boresighted cleaned and polished...and I am working up several handloads and have some Weatherby Factory ammo on hand to shoot as well...and I hope to try it out this week ...provided we get the much anticipated cool off on Thursday...keep your fingers crossed

So.... for your viewing pleasure..

Mac

·
Registered
922 Posts
Mac, I have to say the finish on that barrel is EXCELLENT. He really does do a great job. And the stock set you have on it........i don't think i've ever saw one like it. Great looking handi my friend.... :grin:

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Great looking rifle, Mac!!! I think I'll hafta try and locate one of those stocks, I think that would look great on my 405 Winchester!!!

Thanks for sharing, :agree: :agree: :agree:

Tim

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
OK Mac spill the beans......where'd ya get the Gray Lams at? Enquiring minds wanna know!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Nice set up my friend. Very nice. I'd say the pics do not even give it justice on the fit and finish. Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Mac.
Looks good with all that insipid writing gone. Great caliber for gophers :lol: Hope you got that scope rail fitted and J-B welded.

For some serious stopping and penetration power try the 225gr Barnes TSX FB. Man they sure work in the 340Wby.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Beautiful, I mean BEAUTIFUL! :eek:

Mac and Quick;
I think that caliber choice is probably one of the best in my opinion.
I can't understand why the regular gun manufactures won't make it a commerical cartridge. I think A-Square makes it. But none of the big dawgs.
If I was going to hunt something other than whitetails the 338-06 would be my choice. From what I've read it is only 100+fps slower than the Magnum verison.
Nice going there Quick and Mac. Tell us how they shoot.

Dennis :D

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Mac
Nice looking setup. I have to say the 26" barrel looks a LOT better balanced for the Handi.

Keep us updated on performance. Be interesting to see if it is as accurate as Quicks'

·
Registered
688 Posts
Oops, Sorry Tim; :oops: :oops: :lol:

Sometimes I get these things called, a rectal crainal problem. The older I get the more I have them. :?
Looks to be a real shooter, Tim. :shock:
Both of you have a special rifle. Good Hunting.

Dennis :D

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Dennis, no biggie, as many posts as happen here, it'd be easy to miss a few!!! My biggest problem is I can usually remember a post, but when and who made it is another issue entirely!! :oops:

Tim

·
Registered
194 Posts
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't like either one of you. I will have a 338-06 one day, oh yes, I will have.

Nice and not much more than the cost of a 338-06 barrel for the encore. And you don't have to buy an Encore :) .

A great and truly stepped on cartridge. Glad to see other people like oddball stuff as well as me.

·
Registered
570 Posts
why not just the 338wm in a handi?

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
mr.frosty said:
The same reason no Handi is chambered in any magnum rifle caliber. :roll:

Tim

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mr.frosty said:
Let's see....the guy who rechamberd his Handi to 300 WM got less than 20 rounds of factory loads before he stretched his frame...Hmmmmm...I would hazard you might get about the same...

Mac

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thats how you learn is to ask and listen to the ones with knowledge.
I saw a SAAMI pressure chart after I asked about the 338.
Btw the sporting goods manager at wally world was out today so I didn't
get to order the handi in 500. Hope they can get one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts