Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years with Rugers,Handis, Mossberg, CVA and Browning rifles I put together a TC Contender Carbine. And it is now my favorite deer rifle. It is so short and light just a joy to carry and hunt all day long.
With a 16 inch 44 Magnum barrel it is only 30 inches long and weighs in at a whopping five pounds. Perfect for my neck of the woods where deer are not seen beyond 80 yards. Can't wait for next season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Digin' the shorty look! Leupold 1-4x20 scope? Is the scope usable that low?

·
22,489 Posts
had a pair of them just like that. A 3030 and a 4570. My old man laid claim to both.
After years with Rugers,Handis, Mossberg, CVA and Browning rifles I put together a TC Contender Carbine. And it is now my favorite deer rifle. It is so short and light just a joy to carry and hunt all day long.
With a 16 inch 44 Magnum barrel it is only 30 inches long and weighs in at a whopping five pounds. Perfect for my neck of the woods where deer are not seen beyond 80 yards. Can't wait for next season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Ah Yes...An ideal rifle for the very young or the very old...I'm on one end or the other...can't remember which. Come to think of it...It might just work for the in between guys and especially gals too. Good shootin' to ya!
Walt

BTW You were darn lucky to find a S-16 44 barrel. It's one of the hardest to come by.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I too have a setup with the 16 1/4" barrel. Mine is stainless and chambered in 7-30 waters. I put a Nikon P223 scope on mine, wanted a short scope for the short barrel. It definitely ranks among the favorites. I also have a CVA in 35 remington w/ 20" barrel that is among the favorites.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The scope is a Leupold 2x shotgun scope and I wanted mounted as low as possible. I have a hammer spur mounted to the left side of the hammer , it seems to work better that way on my rifles. (I use the spur on the right side for handguns)

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
About 5 years ago I owned an Encore with a 16 inch barrel in 375 Winchester. I loved that gun but at the time it wasn't legal for deer hunting in the state of Iowa so I sold it. Last year that all changed and it is now a legal option for deer hunting. Worstest sellers remorse that I have ever had!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Bullberry 357 Maximum, Vortex Razor 3 min dot that I won from Camera Land. Works well in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Here's mine.. super 14 contender barrel extended to 16.25 .. caliber-7mmTCU

Man, I didn't think about doing that. I was looking for a 7mm tcu carbine barrel a while back and never found a good deal on one. Tried a trade, but it never went through. Never even considered extending a 14" barrel. I had seen several 14" 7mm TCU barrels for sale at great prices even. I should have scooped one up.

How did you extend it and what did it cost?

Rosewood

·
Premium Member
5,142 Posts
I have got something coming for mine to make it real pretty, then I will post a picture I hope.

Deaconllb

·
Premium Member
5,142 Posts
7x30 waters

My new stock set on my G2 7x30 Waters Thumb hole with a limsaver recoil pad walnut set

Deaconllb

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts