Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a SS 3006, and the rifle looked awesome. Trigger pull is great and it looks terrific. However, the action won't fully close on a round. It'll close empty, but not with a round in the chamber...

Please don't tell me to send it back

Distressed in Washington...

·
Super Moderator
50,973 Posts
Factory load or handload? If it won't close on a factory load, I'd contact H&R after you clean it real good(specially the chamber) and it still does it.

Tim

[email protected]

(978) 630-8220

·
Super Moderator
50,973 Posts
I suppose it's always possible that you got a hold of some improperly sized factory ammo, but that would be a real stretch, I think. Did you try more than one round out of the box and does it chamber in another 06 by chance if you have one??

Tim

·
Super Moderator
50,973 Posts
It's always possible that H&R didn't ream the chamber properly or didn't finish ream it, skipped the last step when chambering it. There has been one report of a barrel on a 204 ruger that was only partially rifled!!! :?

Tim

·
Super Moderator
50,973 Posts
The head of the case must not be flush with the chamber mouth, so the action won't close. Check to make sure the ejector or extractor is slipping over the cartridge as the cartridge is inserted in the chamber. I'd do that with the barrel removed from the frame. If it has an ejector or an extractor, you should be able to slide the cartridge into the chamber and the ejector/extractor will move away from the cartridge and slip in behind the rim. The head of the case should be pretty much flush with or slightly below the opening to the chamber, it it's sticking out any that you can see, it won't close. If there's not some factory crud in the chamber, it must not have been cut right.

·
Super Moderator
50,973 Posts
I'd use a bronze bore brush on the end of a piece of cleaning rod, chucked in a drill, but from the amount of case head exposed in the pic, I'm thinking it's not gonna be enough, there'd have ta be quite a bit of crud in the chamber to cause that. :(

Tim

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
RE: Survey!

This is just the kind of situation that many have spoken on the Survey(from Diana) about. Kufford, if you haven't responded on the survey, then you should. Just my 2 cents!

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
Don't pay for shipping for such an obvoius factory error. Call and ask H&R send you a "call tag". That way UPS will come to your house and pick up the package for return to them for free. It only takes a day or so to get the call tag so have the gun packed and ready...Good Luck....<><.... :grin:

·
Super Moderator
50,973 Posts
Cookieman is right on, this is the kind of QC problem that really hurts H&R. They apparently never test fired that rifle or they would have caught it!!! :eek:

I would contact H&R and ask for either a call tag for pickup or that they reimburse you for the shipping. Now's a great time for a factory repair if there ever is such a time, their turn around time for barrel fitting is real short!!

Tim

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well, since you have to send it in, you might as well get another barrel fitted....

Good luck with it, though. I just had to ship back a .25-06 Ultra that wouldn't lock up tight. It felt tight with the forend on, but you could wiggle the barrel from side to side with the action closed and the forearm off. I was disappointed, but it did give me a reason to get a .223 barrel fitted I've been thinking about (and the trigger job).

·
Registered
871 Posts
I really like my .223 I got for xmas(2004), but when I first went to the range to shoot it the rifle would break open every time I shot it. What a downer it was at the time. I sent it back to H&R and customer service was good and the rifle works good now. I even bought another handi in .243 because I started watching this forum and what people have to say. I also like my .243. Bottem line is this kind of stuff shouldn't happen with a new rifle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't want them touching this trigger. It's the best of all of my rifles. Should I put a note?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Is it just me, or does the ejector look like it's sticking out too? Could it be the ejector mechanism is jammed from debris and not allowing the barrel to close? Don't have mine in front of me to compare, but sure looks odd there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's actually a good point, as if i just insert a round without engaging the ejector, it's much more flush.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now, I'm convinced it's a problem with the ejector. It's flush if the round is not in the ejector. Is there anyway to take the ejector out?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts