Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fresh salsa? Check. Good guacomole? Check. Roast pork? Check. Wheat tortilla? Check.

It seems like my tacos ought to be good, but they suck and I don't know why.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Corn tortilla. Wheat?? Lol. And useing pork? That's mostly for tamales.
Yes, I had a wild idea to use pork shoulder roast cooked to pulled pork consistency. It ain't workin. I know the corn tortillers will help, but they won't solve the problem. There's got to be a way to redeem these things.

I'm thinking I need to add some crunch, like cole slaw with julienned radish in it. Maybe replace the guacamole with some sour cream. Maybe include carmelized onion. So, tortilla, a smear of sour cream, some carmelized onion, meat, and the cole slaw. A small bit of salsa for color.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
So long as those tacos don't give you montezuma's revenge you have better tacos than 95% of those authentic tacos served south of the border.

·
Registered
11,969 Posts
Yes, I had a wild idea to use pork shoulder roast cooked to pulled pork consistency. It ain't workin. I know the corn tortillers will help, but they won't solve the problem. There's got to be a way to redeem these things.
I'm thinking I need to add some crunch, like cole slaw with julienned radish in it. Maybe replace the guacamole with some sour cream. Maybe include carmelized onion. So, tortilla, a smear of sour cream, some carmelized onion, meat, and the cole slaw. A small bit of salsa for color.
Sounds more like a salad than a taco.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Pork makes great tacos, but any meat must taste like it belongs in a taco. Carnitas and chicharonnes are wonderful taco meats. Smoked pork works pretty well and is complimented by roasted chipotle salsa. Your pork might need a little spicing up. Maybe try a little frying pan time with some spices (look for a tacos al pastor recipe) will give the pork that little extra spice and texture you need. A little cilantro, a little onion, a little salt, a little salsa (i like roasted salsa, not too tomatoey, and no beans or corn in it fer Pete's sake!) and you're in business. Fry or heat up that corn tortilla on a griddle till it bubbles.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Fry up some chorizo and blend that into the pulled pork. Ditch the flour tortillas, fresh corn tortillas lightly fried till they are chewy and a bit toasted if they break when folded you are about 45 seconds too long on the griddle. Bit of sour cream, cilantro rich salsa, fresh onion, sliced avacado, a bit of fresh lime juice can be a good thing.
this recipe for carnitas has been brazenly stolen. It’s been taste tested and I highly approve. You might be able to take this and flavor your pork on hand to get it closer to carnitas. The second trip through the oven is critical to getting it right, that crisping up the edges really brings it together.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Fresh salsa? Check. Good guacomole? Check. Roast pork? Check. Wheat tortilla? Check.

It seems like my tacos ought to be good, but they suck and I don't know why.
Wheat Tortilla?? NO ONE could make a taco out of those!!!

One word.... CORN!

DM

·
24,462 Posts
Wheat Tortilla?? NO ONE could make a taco out of those!!!

One word.... CORN!

DM
Sounds more like a sandwich don't it lol. Oh well give him an A for trying. Another thing I don't like when buying a meat burrito is when it's mostly packed full of potatoes. And your paying a meat price for one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The problem is your missing ground beef, the packet of taco mix, lettuce, tomato and cheese. Oh and flower tortilla. Lol jk

Pork shoulder is excellent made into pork salsa verde. Serve with refried beans and mexican rice and some queso fresco over the top and mop it all up with your favorite tortilla.

·
Registered
884 Posts
My Gawd! Red-blooded Americans! Ground venison seasoned with cumin, chili powder, and garlic salt ... now, That's taco meat!
Jalapeno peppers and no cilantro allowed!
Years of service at Fiesta Cantina have imprinted the formula.

Attachments

·
24,462 Posts
Add a can of chopped Hatch green chiles to the ground beef. Americans have become very fond of their green chiles. Even with our troops in the sand box. The Air Force has had to fly them in before.

Add them to an MRE, and it becomes a delicacy lol

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
I'm with Drilling Man. They didn't have a chance with wheat tortillas. Want to ruin any tex-mex dish? Use wheat tortillas.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i think most everyone ^ ^ ^ ^ has already
said it^ ^ ^

that's too much sh** in a taco.
and mexicans (in THIS region) don't
use half raw meat in anything. it needs to be
cooked properly with zero trace of pink or red.
preferably on coals or fire. barring that, in a smoking
hot comal or skillet.
try some marinated (NOT with wine or euro marinades)
beef cooked and sliced thin thin thin with make-you-cry onions
diced fine with fresh fine chopped cilantro. grease your hot
skillet and heat up your tortillas and they should have an
almost-sheen from the grease. put the meat and the onion-cilantro
on top and eat.
all that other cheese/maters/pizza toppings/fruit flavored b.s. is
white folks contribution toward effing up good tacos. there are
a lot of folks all over that can't distinguish mexican from Tex-mex.
beef or venison is preferred, maybe chorizo or lingua if you're poor.
throw all your fruit flavored salsas and other yuppie stuff in the trash
if you want the proper tastes.

fwiw i use fiesta brand fajita seasoning on most all the meats i grill
regardless of what they are (if it gets seasoning other than plain
salt and pepper)
it has a tenderizer in it also

·
Registered
225 Posts
fwiw i use fiesta brand fajita seasoning on most all the meats i grill
regardless of what they are (if it gets seasoning other than plain
salt and pepper)
it has a tenderizer in it also
Bolner's fiesta seasonings are muy bueno! I have several kinds. I like them all. Fajita seasoning is excellent and probably addictive. They used to have them at Walmart, now I order them from the factory in San Antonio.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
their hamburger deluxe is a great help if you're forced to
cook your hamburgers on the stove inside.
i buy that and the fajita and spanish rice season and
the jalapeno salt for popcorn and other snacks.

their fajita seasoning is about the most universal meat
seasoning i've ever bought and used. it goes on most
all meats i grill if i use a seasoning other than salt and
black pepper. it's great on a pork chop.
i throwed a good many bottles of season out some time
back and have pretty much just the few bottles of bolners.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts