Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was taking my action out of the stock, and the pot metal trigger broke. Does anyone know where I can find another?? Other than Weatherby?? They want me to ship my entire rifle in, or have a FFL send for one. Any help is much appreciated.

Also, I don't want to upgrade my trigger, just replace the stupid pot metal trigger with another.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
or just buy a replacement from another manufacturer, like timney. it would be better than the weatherby one anyway.

-Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could.......but I'm trying to trade the rifle and I don't want to sink any money in it. If you know of any other places to get one, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Administrator
26,165 Posts
I'm not aware of any firearms manufacturer who will sell you a trigger or a sear and most won't hammers either if their gun requires one. Too much liability if you install it incorrectly. You can buy an after market replacement trigger assembly and perhaps even a factory replacement assembly if they are made in such manner as the Remington 700 is. But a trigger alone? Not that likely at least not from the manufacturer.

You need to look to the after market suppliers to see what's available. I'd start with Gun Parts Corp and Brownells I think.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
RamsFan said:
Well, I was taking my action out of the stock, and the pot metal trigger broke. Also, I don't want to upgrade my trigger, just replace the stupid pot metal trigger with another.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott,

you may be speaking some of these words in anger, but i don't see their trigger as being made of pot metal. i think they're actually heat-treated, like i was told they are over the phone by a weatherby rep'. i'd called in because i wanted to smooth the trigger's surface with a little sand paper. i was told the part is hardened. if anything, i'd like to know where it broke and if there wasn't actually porousity in the trigger, where the 'pad' is on it, from when it was cast (i'd guess it was cast). even if the part is made of sintered metal, it still isn't pot metal. the gear on a crankshaft in a v-8 engine, that drives the camshaft gear, is oftentimes made of sintered metal. look at what it'll endure while going 200,000 miles!

take care,

ss'

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
safetysheriff said:
RamsFan said:
Well, I was taking my action out of the stock, and the pot metal trigger broke. Also, I don't want to upgrade my trigger, just replace the stupid pot metal trigger with another.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott,

you may be speaking some of these words in anger, but i don't see their trigger as being made of pot metal. i think they're actually heat-treated, like i was told they are over the phone by a weatherby rep'. i'd called in because i wanted to smooth the trigger's surface with a little sand paper. i was told the part is hardened. if anything, i'd like to know where it broke and if there wasn't actually porousity in the trigger, where the 'pad' is on it, from when it was cast (i'd guess it was cast). even if the part is made of sintered metal, it still isn't pot metal. the gear on a crankshaft in a v-8 engine, that drives the camshaft gear, is oftentimes made of sintered metal. look at what it'll endure while going 200,000 miles!

take care,

ss'
Hey SS,

Your right, I was speaking out of anger......and frustration. I say pot metal because that's what it looked like. I think I was just plain unlucky and got one that was weaker than most, or I just happen to hit the sweet spot. The rest of the rifle is of fine quality. This rifle is basically brand new, it has only seen 10-15 rounds down the tube.

Anyhow, if you look at your barreled-action in the stock from the side, and look 3/16" down the trigger (from the bottom of the stock), this is the location of the brake. I will try to get a picture up for you soon.

I was thinking of drilling a little hole on both pieces of the trigger and epoxying in a little stainless rod until I can get a replacement.

Honestly, I was surprised when Weatherby told me to send in the entire rifle or have a FFL send for it.....plus $25. I never did figure I would get it free, but the idea of liability never crossed my mind. It does make sense though.

Thanks for the help guys and I will keep you posted.

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts