Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always full length sized and trimmed my new cases before loading. After I have fired these cases I only neck size . My question is, can I just neck size the new cases and forget about the full length sizing?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sure as long as they fit in your gun .I don't see anything wrong with it.I've done it wih before with no problems. :roll:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Like Gramps said, you'll get differing opinions and I can only reflect what Gramps has said but with one difference. I always full length size virgin brass just as a precaution as on 2 occasions I've gotten a few pieces that would not chamber due to deformities from either manufacturing or shipping problems. A bunch of ammo that won't chamber can sure mess up a good day. Other than this I'm a firm believer in neck and partial sizing. No sense in working the brass to death.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We neck size some 22 cal rounds and it works fine. But you shoot the same cases in the same gun like stated above.I am going to reload 22 hornet and I found dies but no neck size only dies for that caliber. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stevinator,
Don't sound right and it isn't right. I just traded my Hornet. I had a neck sizing die for the hornet but I don't know who made it. But I can tell you that it was not anything off brand. If you check some of the regular outlets for reloading stuff you will find a neck die for your Hornet. You don't have to lube the neck either. Just run it through the die and thats it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
lt seems to me that you are asking should you neck size before you load new cases for the first time. A lot of people will disagree but I take new cases right out of the bag and load them, I only give them a once over and out of a couple of thousand brass I have discarded less than a dozen cases. I have had a few W-W 222 brass with badly wrinkled necks I threw away and a few with mashed necks that I would run over the expanded to smooth out.

It can't hurt if you want to do it, but I have never seen the need.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for the info on the hornet. We have neck sizing dies for three other 22 cal cartridges and thats why I wanted to find them for the hornet. I will have to look some more because one of the places I looked had hornet dies but no separate neck dies. Our other ones are rcbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just my observations. The 22 Hornet is the ONLY round I have found shoots better (more accurately) in MY contenders when full-length sized. Tried neck-sizing but keep going back to the full-length sizer. My guess is the very long taper gives inconsistant headspace and this cartridge just does better headspacing on the rim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lee maks a set in their deluxe series, a 3 die set which includes full lenth ans neck size. I use this set for my hornet, also comes with shell holder. Pop

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I load for my Hornet with a Lee Collet die. The Lee die set with the collet die only costs about 25 dollars from Midway and does come with a shell holder. I didn't have a sizer die when I got my new brass so just ran it through the lee die. I have 10 loadings on these cases now and I am still getting sub MOA groups and have never had to trim the cases. I shoot a mild load of 8.3gr of H4227, R-P brass, cci 400 Primers, Win 50 gr psp bullets for a little over 1600fps. This is a silhouette load and not intended to use in a hunting situation where bullet expansion is needed.

Sixgun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts