Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 38-55 barrel and have a question about it. I read about the undersized neck issues and having to have it reamed. I want to shoot cast bullets so I'm wanting to ream this one. Was it ever determined as to which reamer worked best or to what size the chamber needed to be reamed? I read the FAQ's and saw the .400 reamer. Is that the proper size or is there something better? Thanks for any help.

Spanky

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
That's the reamer I used because that's the one I was told to use by folks here.

Before I reamed it though I slugged the bore and it came out .380. I loaded a dummey round with a .381 bullet and confirmed it would not chamber.

The original owner told me he had no problem chambering cartridges he loaded using a thinner brand of brass and .379 bullets. Based on the targets he sent me, they shot very well.

I now shoot .379 jacketed bullets and, had I done so from the beginning, may have not have had to ream the chamber. But the rifle shoots so good I'm not worried about it! ;D

P.S. That's it in the avitar

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it just a matter of reaming it by hand or does it need to be set up on a lathe? If it's something I can do myself I'll just rent the reamer and have a go. It doesn't seem like much material would have to be removed from the neck. :-\

Spanky

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
It's a hand job...
Heck, it took me longer to unpack the reamer then ream the barrel! Just an itti-bitti amount of metal was removed from mine!

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Yea Richard, where do you get .379 jacketed bullets?

LONGTOM

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
The .400 is what I did to mine as well.. WHAT A SHOOTER IT IS!!!!! I LOVE THIS RIFLE!!!! (Who am I kidding, I love them all!!)

CW

·
Registered
203 Posts
You might be able to use the Starline "long" brass, which is thinner in the neck, and not have to do any reaming. Try it first. You can't put metal back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts