Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Within the next couple days I'm gona buy a new squirrel killer! I've used my 10/22 for years but I'm tired of luging it around with that heavy bull barrel I don't won't to modify that gun because it is a tack driver I'll just use it for bench shooting from now on. So on to my dilima I've looked very hard an long into both the ruger American in 22lr an the cz 455 American 22lr with that being said I had a ruger American compact in 17hmr an liked it the size the way it shot an everything so that's why I've been eye balling the same gun in 22lr (maybe even the predator model) I've never had a cz of any kind but I've handled them an reading about the accuracy has really caught my eye! The biggest difference is price I'm willing to pay a couple hundred more if the accuracy with the cz is worth it over the RAR. I'm not asking for dime size groups at 100 yards but I do won't min of tree rat head at say 50yds tops. I would like ur opinion on my 2 choices I understand both guns have a huge fan club so this may be a topic that will go back an forth but what the heck we all love talking guns! Ps: which ever gun I go with will be scoped I'll keep my old rem 550-1 an Winchester 1904 for the days I wona shoot irons!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I guess I'd get a Marlin 39 with 20" barrel.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have 2 CZ's, 17hmr and mach2, both are X-C-LENT. My gripe with them is the safety travels the wrong way (opposite a mod 70). I also own a 39a so I'd be in a pickle to choose one over the other. I haven't touched an American.

·
23,845 Posts
Still shootin a 1959 Marlin Golden 39A.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the looks of the 39a I've got a few marlins but the price tag for one of those 39's is throwing me off.

·
23,845 Posts
Their not cheap, but then again, mine is 57 years old, and still a tack driver. One has to decide, are we wantin a leveraction, and are we wantin longevity, vs cost for that longevity?
In the past 60 years, I have wasted a lot of money I'll never get back, on guns I neither needed, nor could realistically afford. Several years ago, I picked the ones I truly wanted, and needed for my style of huntin, and either gave away, or sold the rest.
The 39A ain't cheap, but it's real quality, a real shooter, and will outlast me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dee you make a great point an those 39's are quality rifles with that being said if I had one it would probably set in the safe more than anything an only get used every now and then around the house I wouldent won't to drag one of those rifles around or let it ride in the jeep all the time an get bounced around. Yall have great taste to be toating those guns around I just believe I'm looking for a cheaper less beautiful but still accurate rifle. I had a win 94 Canadian centennial in 30-30 that was a pretty gun but I sold it off an replaced it with a marlin 336 because I found myself babying that 94 an I have a good feeling that's what I would do with a 39a.

·
23,845 Posts
Well, I'm not a collector. When I got my brand new Winchester Model 94 3030 in 1958, it went to the woods. When in the 70s I was called out to track escapees in the Red River bottoms of Texas, it went with me. When the new owner (my oldest son), picks it up and sees the absence of bluing in front of the lever where i carried it, or the scratches on the once beautiful walnut stock, he remembers seeing me carrying that rifle in news footage, or newspaper photos, or gettin out of a car in the yard with it. He uses the rifle now. It was built to be used, and although it's still as accurate as ever, there are no signs of it being pampered.
My Golden 39A, long ago lost its shine, and when he gets that one, he'll know the old man used that rifle too. It rides in the rack on the Mule, or leans against a tree in camp. The rifle was used when I got it, and the original owner, while not damaging it, obviously used it. Both guns have character through use. btjn🤗

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I probably wouldn't buy a new Marlin 39a because they're only available with a 24" barrel at this time. Which is fine if that's what you want. There are some qualities of the 24" barrel that are nice to have, such as capacity, lower decibel level, to some extent steadiness of aim, and sight radius(which doesn't come into play on a scoped rifle).
But I like the compactness and handling characteristics of the 20" barrel, so I'd prefer a used one in the Mountie or 39M versions. I think the 39M, like mine, has a thinner forearm, factory sling swivels, and a lighter barrel than the 39a Mountie.
Besides being a sweet little lever gun, another plus is that it'll shoot just about any ammo accurately including 22 shorts. Mine has been through the thickest of briar patches and thorny vines, and hustled between strands of barbed wire many times. Since I scoped the rifle, I took off the front sight soon after I got it to make it more snag free. But the stock and barrel do have a few light character marks from my excursions.

I also like the Ruger Compact, and have been considering one in a 22 Magnum. I like the short barrel and short LOP low rise stock, along with the 70° bolt throw that would allow a very low scope mount for a 2-7x28 or 4x28 scope that I would most likely choose for that rifle. But I like the ability to load shorts in the magazine, so haven't considered a detachable magazine bolt action 22LR.

While I have looked at a CZ 527 American in 22 Hornet, and was nearly seduced by it's beautifully finished walnut and bluing, I was turned off by the high cycling bolt handle that necessitates an overly high mounted scope that would make it more cumbersome than I prefer in a hunting rifle.
I haven't handled a 455, so I don't know if a similar situation exists with it.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I might consider a Henry H001 standard 22 lever action. It more resembles a Winchester 9422 than a Marlin 39. And it's finish most likely wouldn't hold up to abuse as well as a 39. But for utility and handling, I think it's a fine little rifle with a reputation for it's butter smooth action right out of the box.
I believe it's in a similar class as the Ruger American Rimfire Compact. But it'll cycle shorts, longs, and long rifle ammo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys I believe any model 39 is out of my price range at the moment I would love to pick one up one day I do love lever guns but with that being said I do not like scopes on them just doesn't look right or Cary right in th feild with that being said the gun i go with is going to be scoped im only 23 but my eyes have went bad over the past few year I now have glasses and contacts annuli can't shoot iron sights as good as I use to so I mostly use iron Sight guns on big targets such as deer.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Though I'm not in the market, I believe I would bring a CZ home. The local Scheels has a switch barrel .17HMR / .22 that I eyeball every trip. I've also got a soft spot for the full length stock style they offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
2,564 Posts
A friend has a new Ruger American .22. Got to shoot it this fall. Very accurate, and seems well made. I own a CZ 452 in .22. It is just as accurate. A little heavier than the Ruger. I would pick the CZ because I appreciate walnut and polished blued steel. The Ruger is more a modern, plastic gun, though, as I said, it does shoot. Guess it depends on what matters to you in a rifle.

Larry

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Need a new squirrel gun. Ruger American.....or CZ....
Neither! Get a Ultra Light Arms! I LOVE mine! Made in USA...

Melvin made mine EXACTLY the way I wanted it,

He makes the actions, all the bottom metal, including the "flush mount" magazines. Push a button and the mag. comes out in your hand,

He also makes the super light, super strong stocks, that he has a patent on, and he painted it exactly the way I wanted it,

The bbls are Douglas premium...

Yeaaa, I know you are interested in an ULA! lol

I do have a Henry lever, and it's smooth, feeds everything and has been totally reliable... WELL worth the price Henry get's for them...

BTW, I REALLY dislike the assbackwards safety of the CZ!!

DM

·
Registered
584 Posts
D Man
Something is wrong with your Mdl. 20, the bolt handle is on the wrong side.

Steve.........

·
Registered
584 Posts
Trapper
You might check out the KSA Mdl. 722, they have three different variations and mine shoots .5 inch or less with most ammo @50 yds.

Steve........

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Steve said:
D Man
Something is wrong with your Mdl. 20, the bolt handle is on the wrong side.

Steve.........
Yeaaa, I noticed that too!

I was looking at my other 22's the other day, and I noticed my Browning T-bolt is the same way! [img]

[img]http://www.fototime.com/13B5D3BC410D66D/standard.jpg

and so is my Remington 541!

I even found my 5mm mag has that problem,

EVEN my Anschutz has the bolt on the wrong side!

I don't know what the heck is going on! I found several others the same way!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
D man those are some fine rifles! I really appreciate everyone's input i walkd into a lgs the other day an he had a ruger American predator on the shelf for a good price so I walked out with it! It won't be the last 22 I'll ever buy they tend to multiply around my house for some reason ;). But with that being said I'm more than happy with my purchase ive only got around 60 rds down the tube at this point an I know things will get even better I did some testing an fed match an cci stv has given me my best groups at 30yds.put a Burris 2-7x35 on top an it carts great to me.
thats 5 shots in the circle of cci the 3 above were from different ammo.

Attachments

·
23,845 Posts
I took one out of one of my pecan trees this mornin.🤗

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only blood I've got with the new rifle so far was a possum sneekn around n the trash the other night but hey 10 yard head shot he droped I was happy. Didn't have to clean up trash the next morning 8)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts