Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not ready to post this guys user name but I'll likely will soon. I was negotiating a deal on a rifle I was selling with him. I had I pulled it off the market but since I had previously said by PM he could have it if he met my price, when I agreed a few days later I felt obligated to complete the deal.

Then he waits over a week to send the payment. When it gets here there's only a money order in the envelope. I PM him about needing dealer info and he acknowledges my request and that was a week ago. I'm planning to mail his money order back today and tell him to forget it. I originally told him to mail me the FFL paperwork with the money order and now I'm thinking he's too dim to buy a gun on line...

Am I being overly critical, should I wait or am I being reasonable by sending back his money order?

Tony

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It is best to be patient. Some people are busy making a living. However, if you have made the requirements clear
and given the buyer a reasonable amount of time +10%. Endorse the MO and send it back in a priority envelope [w/tracking].

There are 'ringers' trolling the Net looking for people to violate the law. These 'ringers' consider ALL gunowners unconvicted felons.
There are also idiots, pheneys and bohunks. Your contract to sell must be within the law to be enforceable. If your buyer won't
comply he/she is not a qualified buyer. "When in doubt, back out". The BATF counsels dealers to refuse any
purchase that seems suspicious, real or not.

If you lose a sale, big deal. If you lose a few bucks, big deal. If you are charged with a felony, that is a big deal

·
Registered
731 Posts
My 3 cents worth.. if somebody cannot follow basic instructions i do not do business with them. Yeah i have ended some deals where i really needed the funds, but its not worth the hassle in the end to deal with a buyer with little or no communications skill. The too busy to follow up doesnt fly with me, they had time to get a money order. I manged to do all i needed on online sales in one shot even when working full time and going to school.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He sent the info this evening but I'm still PO'ed. I needed the money to put me over the top on my mortgage payment and it came after the payment was due and he cost me an extra 50 bux in a late fee.

The only thing I'll sell guns for is my home, and this guy isn't helping much... I'm going to think about it over night and I'll either send the rifle or the his money back in the morning.

Tony

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
when you guys worked out the deal did you let him know that there was a time frame on receiving his payment and ffl info? the schedule i work most of the time i have to wait till saturdays to get to the post office and never had someone get mad because it took a while for a payment on an item. maybe you should set up a paypal account for instant payments.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off it's against PayPal's rules to use their service to pay for a gun. Some get away with it but others have had their accounts and funds seized.

I told him to send the FFL paperwork with the payment. There was nothing in the envelope but a money order. I'll likely honer the deal but I'm not happy about it.

Tony

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I know it's against PayPal rules. but if nothing is in the PayPal transaction about a gun there is never a problem. if people are dumb enough to put it is for a gun then they deserve to have there account seized. Most of the people here and other gun sights use paypal. Its convenient and makes for quick payments. Which would of benefitted you in this situation.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go for you but I won't take the risk. Anyway he still didn't follow directions and took another week to follow up. There was no communication from him along the way.

On the other hand, sold a H&R frame to another fellow here and the payment and FFL form came promptly and he let me know what was going on every step of the way as I did with the shipment.

I guess I'm irritated that this guy was so clueless about how he was going to receive this rifle. It's not like it's still 1967 and we can mail guns without a FFL dealer being involved...

Tony

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
geezerbiker said:
First off it's against PayPal's rules to use their service to pay for a gun. Some get away with it but others have had their accounts and funds seized.
Translation: PayPal commits theft.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Jason;
Perhaps I don't understand the technicalities of paypal..but the post claims they SEIZE funds..now I can understand if they want to refuse service..but seizing funds? That sounds a bit like theft to me..or you can call it stealing if you wish.. ;) :D

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Jason said:
Bear said:
geezerbiker said:
How is that theft.
When private party takes money from another part without their consent and without a court order, what else would you call it? I suppose that you could call it fraud -- which is just another term for theft.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Bear said:
Jason said:
Bear said:
geezerbiker said:
How is that theft.
When private party takes money from another part without their consent and without a court order, what else would you call it? I suppose that you could call it fraud -- which is just another term for theft.
my misunderstanding. i thought you meant using paypal for a gun transaction is theft. i agree that if they seize your money it is theft.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
All you need to do to keep paypal off yer back is for neither party to call it a gun. That includes brand names and generic terms.
Call it a tool or sporting goods. They can impound funds for up to 90 days because you agree to that when you sign up.

Other than the fact it is handy and relatively secure there is no reason to use it. I try not to use credit cards.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
In a free society it is your choice to take your business elsewhere. There have been several attempts to establish gun-friendly
payment systems. None seem to have worked out. Government hostility and lack of capital may make it difficult.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
geezerbiker said:
I'm not ready to post this guys user name but I'll likely will soon. I was negotiating a deal on a rifle I was selling with him. I had I pulled it off the market but since I had previously said by PM he could have it if he met my price, when I agreed a few days later I felt obligated to complete the deal.

Then he waits over a week to send the payment. When it gets here there's only a money order in the envelope. I PM him about needing dealer info and he acknowledges my request and that was a week ago. I'm planning to mail his money order back today and tell him to forget it. I originally told him to mail me the FFL paperwork with the money order and now I'm thinking he's too dim to buy a gun on line...

Am I being overly critical, should I wait or am I being reasonable by sending back his money order?

Tony
Do you want to sell the gun or turn him into a model citizen? He sent you a money order and that's a great incentive to follow through with the rest. I have buyers who can't get copies of a license so their dealer sends it to my dealer. Either way you slice it, the gun gets sold.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
sounds more to me like you are blaming this guy because you could not make your mortgage on time. he got the money to you and the ffl paperwork. So finish it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts