Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AR in .223 that was built for accuracy and I'd like a more powerful scope than the Nikon P223 3-9x thats on it now.

I'm looking at some of the Nikon or other brand 4-16 or 4.5-18 in the $300 to $440 price range. From limited Prairie Dog experience I'd like to have a BDC or Mildot reticle at longer ranges - I think it would be helpful.

For closer range shooting I want to keep the low end in the 3x or 4x range.

I suspect most of my shooting will be at 100 and 180 yds at the range.

When I surf around I end up looking most at the Nikon Prostaff SF 4.5-18x40 BDC, Nikon Prostaff 5 SF 4.5-18x40 BDC, Leatherwood 4-16x50 Unidial mildot, Nikon Prostaff 7 4-16x42SF BDC, or finally a Nikon Monarch 4-16x50 bdc. Maybe the Weaver Grand Slam 3-15.

Questions:

Is a 50 mm objective lens better in marginal light than the 40 to42 mm objectives?

Will a 30mm tube add much light in lower light situations?

Can any of you recommend one of these over the others - or some other brand in the same power and price ranges?

All advice is welcome.
thank you.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Dand said:
Is a 50 mm objective lens better in marginal light than the 40 to42 mm objectives?
Yes. Divide the objective diameter by the magnification to get exit pupil - the larger the exit pupil, the brighter the image, up to about 7mm which is all the human eye can make use of. So, for those 16x scopes and a 50mm objective, you are at 3.125mm, and with a 42mm objective, you are at 2.625mm which would make a noticeable difference.

Dand said:
Will a 30mm tube add much light in lower light situations?
Tube diameter does not affect light transmission, but it may allow for more elevation adjustment.

Dand said:
Can any of you recommend one of these over the others - or some other brand in the same power and price ranges?
The Monarch is the better of the scopes you listed, although I'm not a fan of the Nikon BDC. Those circles are really pretty big when you consider the distances they are used at so for precision you'd do better with cross hatches or just knowing your ballistics and dialing the elevation with the knobs.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Justa - you make a good point about the BDC - I think the Weaver just has cross hatch marks which appeals to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.