Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lip or raised rim on the muzzle of some big 13 inch 1861 siege mortars. I'm trying to build an exact none firing replica of a 13 inch mortar from scrap ( can't afford Paulsons wonderfull repro) and I'm trying to find out about this raised collar at the barrel muzzle, possibly a machineing difference I see on some mortar pictures? Some like Paulson Brothers have a very distinct rim and photo's of some at Yorktown have a raised rim and others do not? The plans call for a 43 inch barrel but does this raised rim change the barrel diameter diameter? I have the origional plans for a 13 inch mortar but they show no such collar? I'd really like to talk to someone who knows alot about the big dictator mortars and can answer a few questions I have about it.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
16,360 Posts
Need advice on big 13 inch mortar dimension

I suggest you contact Don Lutz at:

Antique Ordnance Publishers
P.O.Box 610434
Port Huron, MI 48061
810-987-7749 after 6PM and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Don has a microfiche that contains the original drawings of Civil War Cannons and mortars. He may have original drawings for the Dictator for you. He sells the drawings in an 11" x 14" format for $10 up $20 a set plus $5 priority mail. I have 5 sets of his drawing and I can tell you they are a bargain, chock full of good information.

Hey, who was looking for information on the Wiard rifle? No.28, 2.6 inch Wiard rifle and carriage plans, $20 plus $5 priority mail.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please see Paulson Brothers site for mortar with collar

Thanks for the pictures if the Big mortar in front of the Armory. Believe it or not I have had your very picture posted on my wall at work for some time now. It's one of the better pictures floating around. Yes I don't see the rim/collar on the barrel muzzle on that picture but if you have the time go to Paulson Brothers Ordnance site and look at the picture of the 13 incher they made. It apears to have a pronounced rim at the muzzle and I know they make their cannon to exact specs. I have the 13 inch plans From Don lutz's Antique Ordnance and they show no rim but some still seem to have one or so the pictures seem to indicate?

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts