Graybeard Outdoors banner

Need: Good load 200 GR. SWC 45 ACP

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  jeffsmith13 
#1 ·
What's a good load for 200 grain SWC in the .45 ACP.
Hard cast. Can I get 1,000 fps? (Safely)

Thanks

#2 ·
#7 ·
1911 isn't designed for that velocity with that bullet. I'd stay with the ISPC major caliber loads?
Steve

Reactions: Modoc
#8 ·
My Laser Cast reloading manual lists the 200 gr SWC with Unique starting at 5.0gr @ 713 fps with a Maximum of 6.4gr @ 897 fps in a 5” Bar-Sto barre. I can’t find my notes on my load, but I was having good accuracy in the lower 1/3 of that range.

None of their listed/Tested loads break the middle 900’s for fps. This is with hard cast lead Bullets (24 BHN).

#10 ·
Getting load data from a web forum is not real smart in my book. Sure I meant to type 5.9 when trying to help but typed 9.5 instead. OOOPS KABOOM 😱

My recommendation, buy a Lyman or other CAST BULLET book.

#11 ·
Of course, anyone who blindly uses a recipe found online without confirming it with published resources is a moron. Asking for good, accurate loads is not unreasonable - given you don't qualify as a moron according to the first sentence in my comment...

#17 ·
I killed a doe with a 45 colt load that was barely 800fps in a 250gr. LHP. The point is a slow bullet will do just as well without hot dogging the loads. Yeah I can stay it was fun but it was way over what I can do and lately it mid level loads that I am having more fun because they are a lot more accurate, easier on hands to shoot. Just killed a buck a few weeks ago with a 44 magnum mid/high level load of 2400 powder behind SNS 240gr. Lswc at 25 yards and only went 20 yards before he flipped over. That fun to watch! I didn't need any more for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.