Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D just wanting some advice on what lever gun to get looking for something with very light recoil mostly used for small game rabbit /grouse occasional deer i live in western washington so shot are generaly under 100yds thanx ,superdown

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
If you're planning to hunt both deer and small game with it, I'd expect you'd want something no smaller than a .243. But if that's the case, you'll probably have to plan on taking the heads off your rabbits and grouse.

The Savage 99 was made in both .243 and .250 which are cartridges that would do the job. The BLR has been available in .243 and .257 Roberts. I believe that the Winchester 88 was available in .243 as well.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) what iam looking for is a small case not necessarly a realy small caliber but something 25 to 30 calliber range.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Get a 357 mag and keep deer shots under 100yds. For deer use the heaviest bullets you can get, but lots have killed them with 158gr loads. Many have written of deer kills with the 357, especially when shots are in the 50-75yd range.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good gun the 94 trapper in 357 I've had one for a few years just sitting around and this year I'am going to take it out and get a deer with it I have a stand set up at 60 yards and am developing some 180 hp and 158 grain sp. Best group at 50 yards with 158 hp have been in the 1 1/2 range but have yet to chronograph some yet. Good luck Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts