Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with 100 grain load for .243?

My H&r bull barrel shoots 80 grain factory awesome.However after a few heart shots from 20-30 yds and the deer not knowing he is dead ,still will run .I'm looking to reload some 100 grain HP's .What is a good recipe to try?I'm looking for something that I can still shoot to 400 yds. if need be also as well as the 25 yard shot

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Need help with 100 grain load for .243?

ummm... Well you must be pretty fast with a handi rifle to get off a few heart shots at a deer at 30 yards before it runs ;). And from my experience, a deer shot with pretty much anything in the heart/lungs is going to run a little ways.

I've aways used IMR 4350 or H4350 pwder with my 100gr bullets. Never used any HP though, not sure that I have ever heard of a 100gr HP...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

I yet to try it on deer but on paper it will groupe outstanding
IMR 4350 40.9 grains
COAL 2.740
95 grain noslers BT

I also tried th same bullet with
43.0 IMR 4350 another tack drive but at a max: charge

·
Registered
658 Posts

Try some 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with H-4350. Man does that load turn the .243 into a deer killin machine.

I have taken about a half dozen whitetails with the above combo at ranges out to 300 yards. Every single time the results were the same, dead deer. No they didn't all drop in their tracks but none of the ones that didn't drop in their tracks went more than 20 yards either.

Larry

·
Premium Member
14,631 Posts

If you want to use an HP bullet, Sierra's 85 gr HPBT is designed as a hunting bullet and will do geat on deer.

If you want all purpose hunting bullet for close to far ranges, it is difficult to beat the Nosler PT's 85 gr or heavier.

·
Registered
15 Posts

lonewolf5348 said:
I yet to try it on deer but on paper it will groupe outstanding
IMR 4350 40.9 grains
COAL 2.740
95 grain noslers BT

I also tried th same bullet with
43.0 IMR 4350 another tack drive but at a max: charge
I've tried that load on deer, well actually.. My 'missus has. :D She shot a doe last year with that exact load. She hit it quartering towards in the boiler-room at about 35 yards. The deer ended running about 40 - 50 yards from point of impact. The 95 nosler BT turned the heart lung region into pink goo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've done some reloading with Noslers and they didn't impress me much.I favor Hornady and Speer .Like I said 80 grains are the perfect weight so far but I want something a little heavier with more oomph as my daughter will be shooting this rifle next year for deer and I don't mind a little tracking but I would rather her have it fall in front of her.I guess I'll start with the basic load and go from there.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

I am going to try the remington 100 grain core-lock for next year I read a lot of guys use the 80 grain on deer and they drop were they are shot.
I also read the 100 grain hornady another great choice SP INTERLOCK

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Not impressed with Nosler? What makes you think the 100 grain bullets will drop deer any faster than the 80 grain bullets? I too use the 95 grain Ballistic Tips but for powder I like H414. Heart shots don't usually drop deer, hit closer to the shoulder blade to give the spine some shock.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts

Remington Cor locs. Don't overload them. Just work up to accuracy with any reasonable powder. (I'm using Varget). Three deer so far, all DRT. One was a neck shot, one a head shot, one a heart lung shot that was running full out. She did a forward flip and never moved again.

·
Banned
766 Posts

Bear,

Give the Nosler Partitions a try , they cover you with 85/95/100gr options and it wouldnt come apart like most conventional copper covered candy at close ranges , I would think that a 30-40 yard shot from a 243 and a 80 gr bullet at 3300 to 3500 fps would put a bullet through the most extreme test ... I had a 60 yard shot on a bigger doe with my 300 win mag launching a 180gr Remington core-lokt and IT ANCHORED the deer , with a shoulder shot.. Upon closer inspection i couldnt find the entry hole nor an exit , after skinning i found that the round had completely broke apart and failed to do anything more then destroy the off shoulder meat completely... It barely made it through the off side shoulder blade ...

Partitions two part construction would give you the assurance that your daughter could blow through both shoulders on her first deer and not have to worry about bullet failure.

I would highly reccomend load devolopment with the partition ... The Barnes would be a good alternitive , but i cant speak from experience on the barnes ... But there reputation for a bullet that will take extreme abuse over a wide range of distances is going strong.

Just a couple ideas,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks guys I'm not looking to get in a pi$$ing contest with anyone just looking for a good load.I want to try something a little heavier for more shock value.The first deer I shot with this .243 at 125 yards was with A Federal factory 80 grain.It took out both shoulders and it went for 60 yards.Upon skinning I found the bullet had hit the bone and fragmented taking out both shoulders,heart ,lungs and even out through the neck but the doe still didn't drop.I don't mind a little follow up work trailing (mostly field shooting) but just looking to expand to see if there is something better

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

There is no particular load that will insure your deer drop at the shot, it's all about placement. Why you would want more damage than the 80 gr. federal load you already using is on my part pure speculation. I have used all kinds of different cartridges and bullets on deer and found that at best I can expect is a chest shot deer to drop 50% of the time. If you want to use a 100 grain bullet virtually all of them are designed with deer in mind and will do a reasonably good job. I have used the 100 gr. Nosler solid based bullet, Remingtons corelokt, Hornady's BTSP, Sierra's BTSP and the Speer 105 gr. Spitzer, all killed well but my favorite is the 95 gr. ballistic Tip because it seems to give me a higher percentage of DRT's. I have had very good results using the Remington 80 gr. PSP also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.