Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all i have been vistiing this site for about a year and finally logged in i have been trying quite a few lures (hawbakers leggets carman johnsons) and have yet to find a coon lure that works i have tried water sets cubbies and box traps with no luck only thing that works is sardines,peanut butter, honey or persimmons. help please any and all advice is welcome thanks wvhideguy :?

·
Registered
552 Posts
What eactly is your question? If you are looking for a good coon set- a pocket or dirthole lured with a good coon lure is the ticket. What is a good coon lure? I find that strong "sweet" lures are what turn a coons head most often. All the baits you mentioned work, but IMHO lures work better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello again what is a IMHO??? and also how can a lure maker make a lure in penn, considering the lure is made for the tastes, smells and sex organs of penn coon and it would do well in wva i have found that most all the lure i have tried have a strong smell of black licorce what would a coon come across that smell would be familar hope no one think i am crazy i just cant see how lure can be made in one area and work as well in another?? thanks for the reponse wvhideguy :?

·
Registered
25 Posts
wvhideguy,
On the subject of lures: For coons I carry only 2. My primary is Ace's Muskrat Super all call. I have found it's better than his coon lure in my area. The 2nd is my own and it does have anis so you will get that licerice (spelling) smell somewhat. When I place a coon lure I try to smear some a few feet above the ground then at the actual set whether it be on the roof of lets say a pocket set or if no bait is used , at the rear. Oh, and I don't use coon glands as I feel it's of no real actraction in that formulation. Shoot me an email with your address and I'll send a freebe for ya.

On another not Mallard is gonna help me re-design my website going into great detail about trapping all water furbearers. When I say detail I mean exact pocket location, constuction, Why I pick these location etc...
I also had on the site Ace's 5 page Fox and Yote instructions.
It's a great read and all sets are fully illustrated. Mallard used to send people there quite often. Problem is I got too many hits so they'd shut me down for a few days so I suggest you print it out.
Best of all it's free!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts