Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month my hunting partner bought his first rifle ,Rem 700 bdl in 22-250.We put a Weaver Grandslam 4x14 scope with leupold rings and bases.
Took it out yesterday to sight it in, put a target up at 50yds and put 3 rounds thru it. His group was around 1.5" but I told him no problem since he has never really shot rifles larger than a 22 rimfire. I said to go ahead and put 3 more thru it and we would move the adjustment and shoot it at 100yds. Well to cut to the chase after 15rds it was still shooting about 1.5 at 50yds.I ran some wet patches down it, checked all the screws and shot it my self still after 15 more rds by me 1.5 was the best it would do. All said and done 90rds by three different makers,several more times of swabbing out the bore and even switching scopes 1.5" is the best it would do. So I called Remington to ask what there opinion on the poor accuracy of this rifle was, and was told that flat out that if there rifles will shoot 1.5" or less at 50yds it is completely within factory specs and there is nothing wrong with it. The guy told me I could send it back and they would test fire it, but that my groups are well within specs. I honestly think this gun should shoot alot better than that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yep it should. Try it at 100 or 200 yrds, some rifles have a way of getting more accurate at farther distances. I don't know why but I have seen this first hand. Then again it may get worse. Try it, you have nothing to loose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would suggest shooting at 100 to 200 yards to really judge the accuracy of the rifle and scope. The scopes paralax is probably set between 100 and 200 yards. so this could contribute to your short range problem.
Ian

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a Winchester #70 in .22-250 that I picked up used. I am shure the guy got rid of it because he couldnt stop flyers. It would put 2 touching at 100 yards then through one or 2 out at 2" or better. I floated the barrel and tried it again. It will now put 5 Hornady 52g HPBT's into 3/8" at 100 yards.
The Remington may be like my Winchester and need a little tinkering. I load for 3 .22-250's and all will shoot much less than the 1" at 100 yards. Good luck.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I forgot to tell to loosen the action screws and then gently re-tighten, if they are too tight they can throw the accuracy way off. Also after all that try a business card between the barrel and forend. Try different thicknesses, sometimes a little upward pressure on the barrel will help also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

Im going to pull the action out of the stock, the barrel is tight on the stock I cant get a dollar bill between them.I dont think that paralax is the problem cause both scopes that I used were P/A adustable. Ill tinker with it this week and try it out again on the weekend. Ill let you know what gets it to shoot, well if I do that is. If it doesnt do any better Ill be back to pick your brains for more answers.

thanks again for the help
steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
New Rifle

Some new rifles take a while to "shoot in". Have your friend test it for a few more range sessions before you have any work done on it. My Rem 700 VS SF took me about 8 sessions at the range before it really started to group well. Before it grouped well, I was getting 1.5 - 2.5" at 100 yds. Now it gets around 3/8" groups. I was really discouraged for a while. The trouble with accurate rifles (when you take them hunting), is that you do not have any excuses when you miss!

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is more than likely a pressure point at the front of the stock that touches the barrel. This is why you can't get a piece of paper thru. Start farther back in the barrel and everything from the recoil lug to this pressure point should be floated. All of my Remington's have shot less that 1" groups at 100yds with the pressure point in place, so I've never had a need to remove one.

What stock do you have? If it is the Rem plastic stock you probably will not want to remove the pressure point without bedding part of the barrel. The stock will bend easily and will be very unstable if left unsuported. If it is wood it should be OK to file or Dremel out the pressure point and see if the free-floated barrel will shoot any better.

Good luck ... Crayfish

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
The barrel may also need to be recrowned - even if it is a new rifle. Have a gunsmith take a look at it and see if their are any burrs in the barrel - even a smidgen is enough to cause a bullet to not be as accurate as it should be.

Zachary

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I started looking the rifle over and the right side of the stock is pressed tight against the barrel for about the first 4",left side has clearance the full length. The barrel channel looks like it was hacked in with a hammer and chisel. There is what I assume is a pressure point in the front of the stock, its a small cicular ridge around the hole for the sling stud. The wood is so tight on the right side of the barrel that when I put the action back in the stock it tries to roll the action sideways. I can see that some wood is gonna need to be relieved from the channel.

steve
BTW I havent been a member here for very long, and havent posted much but the members here always seem to give replies to my questions.

Bunch of good people here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spottedog

1.5 inches sure isn't something to brag about, but the rep was honest about the rifle being "in spec". Maybe some tweaking would be in order.
Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts