Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Encore to the range over the weekend and it won't fire. It's light-striking the primer. It leaves a dimple in the primer, but no ignition.

The firing pin looks 'healthy' and extends fully when I press it from the hammer side.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I just moved to NE Louisiana and don't know who to trust when it comes to smiths. I'm also pretty handy with firearm internals and may have a look myself.

Any feedback or cautionary tales would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hornady factory ammo.

280 Rem in a 280 Rem AI barrell.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Have you fired this barrel much before?

You might try removing the extractor and then "snap" the hammer on one of the misfiring rounds. Then open the action and see if the case is being driven into the AI chamber too far to be ignited by the firing pin.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at this right now.

I have some fire-formed AI brass. I'm going to compare how it headspaces to how the factory stuff sits.

I'm also checking the hammer spring and its installation.

Upon firing, should the hammer sit flush against the back of the frame and firing pin? Mine is bouncing back a bit, probably due to the firing pin return, and then going to half-cocked when I release the trigger.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My guess would be a weakened hammer spring. I had the same issue with my 30-06 AI and it was the hammer expander - too much weight. once I removed it everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By hammer expander, you mean the 'spur' that can be added to extend the hammer 90 degrees to compensate for the lack of clearance under the scope?

I've thought about that myself. I'm getting ready to order a new, heavier hammer spring tomorrow from Bellm.

Thanks,

brianb

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes sir. That spring kit should do the trick. One of my other frames has one of those kits and no problems with the hammer expander on that one. Truth be known I'm up to four frames and two need those kits. More projects! ;D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just ordered the spring upgrade.

Hope he ships quickly. I'd love to get this rifle working ASAP!

Thanks for the help!!

·
698 Posts
He does ship quickly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts