Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot about 2000 revolver balls per year. Would I be better off to just keep buying them or is it economical to swage them? I can get the lead for free. Might even sell some to other shooters if they can be made w/o voids. How much faster is swaging than casting? Anyone know the cost of a gang mold of 4 or 6 cavities?

·
Registered
2 Posts
swaged round balls

Dave Corbin makes tools for swaging round balls but they are more complicated than standard bullet dies. Casting round balls in a multi-cavity mould would most likely be faster but you will not be assured of having a bullet without voids, also you will have the sprue flat to deal with.
To swage a round ball you will have to cut or cast the core then swag the ball.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Need to make .454 Round balls. Cost of Equi

Corbin's swage die set for round balls (BSK-1-S) and a press for it will run about $650. A Corbin die set that fits a reloading press, such as the Rock Chucker, but that makes ungroved conical bullets (PRO-!-R) costs about 1/3rd as much. Is there anything special about balls considering the additional cost? Also, remember that you can make different weight conicals with the same dies: with Round Balls you can't. 8)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need to make .454 Round balls. Cost of Equi

Thanks, guys,
I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a gang mold (I have a LEE 2-cavity but it is slower than I like) and buy the swaged balls for seroius matches. If I have to cast the cores that will add an additional step I had not anticipated. I can get lead in flat "H" shaped ribbons and I was hoping to be able to feed them into the swager.
The balls would be for cap&ball revolver shooting and a conical bullet would be harder to allign straight with the revolver chamber unless it is stepped in diameter like the LEE conical which has a smaller base and two more driving bands of increasing diameter that really enhance allignment for better accuracy and chamber sealing to prevent chain fires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.