Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25-06 nef that I hand load for. I can't seem to get better than a 3" group at 100 yards. All of my other rifles I load for are 1/2" or better. Is there something I don't know about these rifles that won't let them shoot well?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
51,488 Posts
Welcome! To get you started, read the Handi Basics 101 sticky above, then move on to the accurizing section of the FAQs sticky if those tips don't help. My 25-06 shoots the first two shots of three different factory rounds into ½", then the third opens the group to 1"-1½" with just an O-ring added to the forend stud.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Boyd stock on it and it seemed like it was touching the barrel some so I removed the excess and put an o ring in about 3 months ago. It helped but it still doesn't group like I think it should. I was thinking maybe the trigger was a little stiff. How hard is it to lighten it up?

·
Super Moderator
51,488 Posts
Trigger work info is in the FAQs as well, not hard to do, anyone with basic tools can do it if they're the least bit of a DIYer.

Tim

·
Registered
791 Posts
Iceman77, welcome to GBO and the greatest group of Handi Enablers in the world. Please read the FAQ's, there is a section on accurizing the Handi, including how to do a trigger job. Perklo's tutorial on trigger jobs is the best, just follow it and go slowly. I've done lots of trigger jobs on all kinds of firearms, word to the wise, go slow and use fine grit stones and polishing paper. Do Not change trigger group angels, if you do you may very well have a very unsafe trigger. Take care and again welcome, John.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
quickdtoo said:
Welcome! To get you started, read the Handi Basics 101 sticky above, then move on to the accurizing section of the FAQs sticky if those tips don't help. My 25-06 shoots the first two shots of three different factory rounds into ½", then the third opens the group to 1"-1½" with just an O-ring added to the forend stud.

Tim
My heavy barrel .223 does much the same as Tim's. First two or three are tight, and then the group spreads, even with the 0-ring on the forearm stud. Tried to use it for bench rest shooting but was very frustrating.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i can get 4 in an inch from pretty much any of
mine with proven loads. it's hot by the 5th and
it'll stray about 1/2" to 3/4" out from the rest.
still very acceptable by my standards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4" at 100 yards isn't acceptable for me. My 22-250 is one hole and my 308 is under 1/2 inch. I can live with a 1" group with this rifle because from what I read they don't get much better than that.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Iceman77 said:
I have a 25-06 nef that I hand load for. I can't seem to get better than a 3" group at 100 yards. All of my other rifles I load for are 1/2" or better. Is there something I don't know about these rifles that won't let them shoot well?

Thank you.

Welcome Iceman!

Is it safe to assume, you have tried different powders, bullets, OAL lengths?

Handis are NOT as forgiving as other actions on the bench... If benched, the forward "bag" needs to be as close to the hinge as possible... NEVER I MEAN NEVER ON BARREL and NEVER RIDGED HARD!!

The way the action latches, has much to do about accuracy... A properly fit barrel will be inconstant more accurate than others. Most of that is in even, and appropriate "bite" of the latch to the shelf. THEN, they should be smartly snapped shut. Like all things guns... consistency is tantamount to accuracy.

All that is in the FAQ's and ALLOT more.... Dont be afraid to ask, we love to enab.. HELP. :)

CW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the enab I mean help part. Haha

Yes sir I've tried a few different combinations of bullets and powders. My triggers are set at 2 lbs on my 308 and 22-250. Maybe the proble is me not the rifle.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Iceman77 said:
I like the enab I mean help part. Haha

Yes sir I've tried a few different combinations of bullets and powders. My triggers are set at 2 lbs on my 308 and 22-250. Maybe the proble is me not the rifle.
Well thats always a variable aint it! :)

Try OAL changes... usually the handi can take a much longer OAL than suggested in manuals. This reduces the "jump" to the rifling and many time tightens up groups. I like to stay at least .005-.007 off the rifling for a hunting bullet. But you dont want it hard into the rifling, what I do is adjust OAL UNTIL you hit the rifling, then seat deeper. (You tell by closing action slow on a dummy round)

CW

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Iceman77 said:
4" at 100 yards isn't acceptable for me. . . .
? ???

Ranger99 said:
i can get 4 in an inch from pretty much any of
mine with proven loads. . . .

instead of this^ ^ maybe i should have wrote out " 4 shots inside of one inch of target space"

you should easily get one inch groups for the first four shots at least with your rifle.
have you put enough ammo through it yet ? is the latch and shelf dry and oil free ?
are you cleaning it too much ? is the buttstock tightened securely ? maybe the loads
you've tried so far just don't jive with this particular gun ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry I miss read that.

I bought the rifle used so I don't know how many shots have been through it.
I've tried several different loads but not all possibilities.
The latch is clean.
I will check the butt stock this evening.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
if you're not already, you may want to
think about the over cleaning thing.
i'd not heard of it or considered it until
coming to this site. my handi's no longer
get the old tried and true bronze brush
and ammonia solvent soaked patches
like i'd done in the past. they get a dry
patch between opening day of firearm
deer season and the close of the same.
if they're to be put away for an extended
length of time, they get a lightly oiled patch
through the bore. the outside gets the
usual preventative maintenance. i just
foul shot and zero checked the 2 i'll be
using this year and both had 4 shots
inside an inch on paper with the 5th
just outside of the 4. ( the .444 was
just barely a bit bigger)
they would probably
do better, but i get a little less steady
every birthday.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Do you have it for hunting or shooting groups?
I want my hunting gun to put the first shot, cold to POA for my -0-, anything else close for a followup is good to go. After I think I have it 'sighted in' I will go out, say, twice a day for a couple of days and do the one shot, and tweak it in if needed. Once that is 'in' I will do two shots back to back to know where #2 is going, the maybe try #3. If yours will do the one shot cold into the same spot time after time you have an accurate hunting rifle, just not a benchrest rifle unless you have all day to shoot your group.
FWIW, these are 'hunting guns', though some get acceptable and repeatable target grouping. That would be a bonus and a keeper.
Buttstock tight
Latch clean and dry
Close it up the same each and every time with a little authority (these are not a hand fitted Purdey)
Be sure to place the buttpad into the same place on your shoulder; if you do it a little higher or lower the recoil impulse is different and the shots will string vertically (learned this with a 22 match rifle doing benchrest almost every day for a summer). Any tension left or right and you will string horizontally. The nature of a break action rifle requires you to get well 'off the gun' to reload and getting back into the exact position is near impossible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.