Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a budget focused 1911? I would prefer US made but I'm not ruling out anything yet. I see many around for under $500. If I can stay close to this amount it can work. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Kygun , They have plain Jane 1911 A1 models I believe they are made in Turkey and are listed as SDS 1911 for sale now for $ 319.99 w/ free shipping to your FFL.
I have heard several reviews from buyers on other forums that really like these and have not had any problems with them. Search Kygun Co. then in their search box put in SDS 1911.
I don’t know of any American made 1911’s that can be had for $ 500.

jedman

·
Registered
dad was a gunsmith, got lots of toys
522 Posts
I talked to my gunsmiths about this very question.
I wanted a cheap 1911, that was decent quality, but cheap to buy new or slightly used. consensus opinion between 4 different gunsmiths was buy a rock island 1911. they had been inside them, and said they were pretty decent quality.

I was told the rest of the import 1911s were very hit or miss on quality. some are fine, others not so much.

I shopped gunbroker for about 2 months,
for a cheap rock island.
I found a used one, some one cera-coted it FDE. ya, its way ugly!
the rear sight was way off, after adjusting the rear sight, its a pretty decent shooter.
its was cheap, around $300 ish iirc?
I got a couple hundred rounds through mine, without any issues.
good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,387 Posts
Today's market makes most of the ranking Gun Mfg. products expensive due to their greater attention to detail and scarcity. There is no reason to own only one gun. Get one now, Work out its kinks. Keep looking. You can resell your gun when you find another gun that suits your fancy. In the meantime, gain experience and proficiency with one. Avoid tentative play.

·
2,725 Posts
OP - You might have a hard time finding a US made 1911 at $500 or less. Ruger and base model Kimber's come to mind. It can become a little tricky identifying where some manufacturers source their parts. "American" companies like Springfield Armory and Auto Ordnance, for example, often source parts from offshore.

I have heard good things about recent Tisas (Turkey) 1911's, but have not owned one.

I do own a RIA 1911 (Philippines), and it is a well made, reliable, and accurate weapon, with great reviews from other shooters. I can recommend this 1911. I liked mine so much, I made a set of stag grips for it, and have since mounted a red dot. Couple thousand rounds thru it so far without issue. Shown with a Kimber for comparison.

Larry

Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Everyday carry Font Bag

1 - 5 of 5 Posts