Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would hesitate to post this in a lot of places for wont of preventing a LEE-bashing binge, but personal experience indicates a more open-minded crowd here, so...........

Has anyone else seen this:
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-double-cavity-bullet-mold-358-200-rf-90449.html

I just picked up on this and it looks like The RCBS 200 grain .358 offering, of which I am very fond and have sent many of on their merry way out the end of a .357 Max case.

LEE has a whole list of new stuff for 2015 but this mould looks like a dandy for several "Handi-appropriate" cartridges. I shot the RDO 190 grain much more than the RCBS 200 in the Max. but I still shot a bunch of these 200s and they shot very well.

Should be great in the 357 Maximum, .35 Whelen, .35 Remington, the various recent wildcats born in Indiana and I would personally not hesitate to use it in a .357 Mag - especially since the Handi is amenable to bullets that wouldn't fit in a revolver cylinder for their extra length.

RCBS moulds are good moulds from my experience but they are pricey - close to what a custom would cost. This LEE mould is twenty bucks and I have used a lot of them with excellent results. My favorite .357 Maximum bullets drop from between aluminum blocks which hail from Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
I agree, that Lee bullet does resemble the RCBS 358 200gr bullet, that I am also very fond of. Let us know if you get one and how well it shoots.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Give it a try, the LEE molds are usually quite serviceable. The Lyman, RCBS are better and more $$.

I have the RCBs mold, I picked it up used and its a good one!

CW

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That does look interesting. I'd like to know the size of the meplet, it looks a little smaller than what I prefer. I have a four cavity RDO 190, I find I really like the 4-6 cavity moulds better than two. My casting area isn't hot or cold weather friendly so I like to drop a lot of bullets when I cast.

Lee makes some stuff that sucks, but so does everyone else. Lee does offer a new powder measure stand that looks promising. And I saw they now have collet dies for the 50 BMG. Says it doesn't come with a powder dipper. I'm thinking an empty adult beverage can with the top cut off would work OK.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Cast my first bullets 2 days ago!

It appears to be a bit heat touchy, slow down a touch and every 4th or 5th pour I'll get one that does not fill.
Other than that I had fewer than 10 rejects out of 100 cast. They look nice, need to get me some .358 gas checks.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the RCBS mould in a two-cavity and the RDO 190 in six-cavity.

My RCBS mould definitely produces a smaller meplat than my RDO.

About .210" on the RCBS and .260" on the RDO per the samples at my elbow.

Either is a good .357 Max bullet for accuracy but I'd have liked to see LEE do Micheal's RDO 190 even better.

Ghosth, good for you! Take your time and learn what works for you. Sounds like you're already doing that though.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Here is a few good cast slugs I use and have used for the Maxi.

RD 190 on L, 160 Keith, 215 Keith and 210 RCBS all way to the right.

Here si another good bunch of maxi boolits.

CW

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cwlongshot said:
Here is a few good cast slugs I use and have used for the Maxi.

RD 190 on L, 160 Keith, 215 Keith and 210 RCBS all way to the right.........................
CW
I am envious of that 215 Keith. Always wanted to get that one.

It would be an especially good one for sub-sonics in .38 cases.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Those are some sexi slugs you got there cw!

I've been curious how those larger boolits stabilize with the h&R's slower twist, specifically at slower speeds. Though doing a search on here seems they do great for a number of people. Reason being my maxi has a 1:20 twist. Last few weeks I've made a couple molds with the lathe for paper patching with one of them being a 212gr boolit. Also going to try a few of the same boolit with powder coat this weekend and some as cast with alox and 4gr TB.

For the price I'll probably own one of those new Lee molds before long too :eek:

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know what CW's getting on his, but I get good accuracy out of the 190 and 200 gr. bullets going 450 fps using fast pistol powder at 10 to 25 yards - shots touching at 10 yards and an inch to around an inch at 25 yards.

Very quiet and lots of thump. Mine was 1:16 but I shot them in a Rossi 92 357 Mag with a 1:30 twist at that velocity,nd within "pest range," at night (10 yards or less usually) they do the job. I shot a few at fifty yards and had about an eight inch downward change in POI from "normal" loads, so didn't really do enough to see how well they grouped at that range.

At full speed, the Rossi's 1:30 twist slung bullets heavier than 170 grains sideways at 15 yards.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I purchased this mold from ebay last night. Looks to be a copy of the RCBS mold. In my experience Lee products quality has been all over the map but good for the most part. I have a bunch of the RCBS bullets but just had to try this mold. G66

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
Has anyone tried converting a GC mold to a bevel base?? I never use GC's but a bevel would make loading considerable easier. I would keep this bullet in the 1400 +- fps range at most.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
twoshooter said:
Has anyone tried converting a GC mold to a bevel base?? I never use GC's but a bevel would make loading considerable easier. I would keep this bullet in the 1400 + fps range at most.
I've not considered a BB but I've actually had a notion to convert one to flat-base.

A further thought was to make a deep HP in one cavity - for what I don't know, but it's a thought that popped into my head.

That bullet with a flat-base should easily get to 1400 fps if you do everything else "right" and could go more if you did everything right and got lucky besides.

As for ease of loading a flat-base (or GC), I have no trouble using the LEE universal flaring die and not resizing the brass (if I don't have to) but others report good results with the Lyman M-die. Another step but worth it for no faster than one might use up carefully crafted loads in a single-shot. I've loaded, shot, reloaded and shot again to forty or fifty of these cases in a couple hours.

I can get away without a GC for a lot of shooting but since I like to keep my alloy as soft as possible, I end up using GCs up in the 1800 to 2000 fps range. I don't like fiddlin' with the things if I don't have to and can't imagine why a simple copper cup has to cost as much as a complex center-fire rifle primer so I just make them thanks to Charlie Darnell.

Even with straight wheel-weight "alloy," I have shot charges in the Max. with that bullet that should have been doing over 1800 fps, using an aluminum gas check. Before I turned that last barrel over to Brian, I loaded IMR 4227 and WC820 up to the maximum charges I could find and felt reasonably certain were viable. I packed all my information away when I threw in the towel and am looking for those records again but I am almost certain they are still around - I hope. I put a lot of loads down range with those two heavy bullets and kept track of it.

Incidentally, those "maximum" charges did not produce any more pressure signs and did not bulge the brass any more than moderate .357 Mag loads did in the over-sized chamber. I believe I could have gone higher but was waiting to actually dig out the chronograph and test accuracy more thoroughly, which was evasive with that particular gun.

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
I would probably shoot quite a few subsonic, and have plenty of jacketed for really high velocity. I have a couple other caliber beveled base molds that work well and I dont have to mess with belling case mouths or crimping stages. Several here have talked about "beagling" molds, I would like some input on this.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I just got this mold in the mail today and I am pretty impressed. The nose is wider than I thought it would be based on pictures. I compared it to the LBT 180 flat nose bullets that I have and the LBT are wider. I am looking forward to trying these things out. I won't use them for deer season this year but if they shoot they will be in my stand next year.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have shot it, and yes it shoots well out of my mag in .360DW brass.

But using it for plinking is pretty wasteful on lead. Grab a little 125 grain for plinking.

I have 50 rounds of it loaded on the ammo table, but I don't waste them plinking, or even shooting paper.

For one thing it is a gas checked design, so will shoot best with a gas check on it. That alone adds 2.5 to 3 cents a round to final cost. Takes you from 5-6 cents per round up to 8-9 cents range.

Granted if I wanted to shoot something really really dead the .357 would be one of my 2 top picks. (.444 is the other, with 310 grain vs 200)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got this mold @ Christmas to shoot in my 35 Rem 336 Marlin. The mold is typical Lee. Be careful about alignment and cast hot and it works well. Mine cools off rapidly so a steady cadence is required to keep it running. I fluidbed powder coat mine up to the last driving band so no gas check is needed and run them over 10 grains of Unique which average 1400 fps out of the 20" barrel Marlin.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
The copper gas checks are too pricey for me, we use aluminum ones off a custom GC arbor press set up (for when I need a GC). The GC bullets cast of mostly WWts and sans GC shoot fine at the lower velo funnin' loads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.