Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the above over the weekend at a large gunshop in southern Maine. $149. I had been looking for one for quite some time, but the distributors seemed to be out of them.

I mounted a used Leupold M8 4x scope which I picked up at the same shop.

I love this rig. I put some Win. Super X HPs and CCI Maxi Mag HPs and FMJs through it at 50 yds. I was getting 1.5"-3" groups in light rain and with a breeze.

With more trigger time (and better weather), I suspect the groups will shrink considerably.

The trigger was good. Better than what came on my NEF .243 HB, but not as good as that gun after I did my own modest trigger job. I think the trigger on the .22 Mag is already good enough it will improve on its own through use.

I can't wait to shoot this gun more. I know it is capable of far better groups.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
Glad to here you like it Mainer. Did you get it at KTP? I am sure those groups will shrink with the ammo it decides to like best and with use. My H&R .22 Mag shoots 1"-1.5" groups at 100 yards all day when I do may part. I use is as my main Maine coyote gun with a red dot. It is capable of better I am sure....<><.... :grin:

·
Super Moderator
50,972 Posts
Congrats on the new Ultra!!! :wink:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MSP: Yes, indeed, I bought the gun at KTP (the Kittery Trading Post for those of you who haven't heard of it http://www.ktp.com/). :grin: They had a fine selection of Handis and Ultras. KTP is my favorite toy store. :grin:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
congrats on a fine gun!!! i've been wanting one od those for a while but i settled for a regular 22mag instead. but it still shoots good.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I libeled this gun on my first post. On my second trip to the range I moved the target out to 100yds and the groups shrank over what they had been at 50yds. And I'm only using a 4x scope (although a good one).

The one negative thing I did notice at 100yds is that the trigger pull isn't great. It didn't matter as much a 50yds. No creap, but heavy, Nevertheless, the pull is easily fixed with a trigger job, which even I can do!! :grin:

Once I do a trigger job, this rifle should turn in regular 1" groups at 100yds. Maybe even better with a higher power scope. To me, that's great accuracy for a rimfire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts