Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,

Well took a leap of faith in Ruger and was a little disappointed. Have 2 issues.

First, I had to send mine back to Ruger for excessive blow-by from the cylinder gap at .009", Not fun getting powder spit into my face with every shot.

Accuracy could be better, but I attribute that to the cylinder. I'll see when it returns.

The second issue is that I am trying to find a left hand holster for it. With the extra .2" of bbl some of the holster makers have posted that thiers won't fit. ( hunter ) and am trying to find something less than $75 for basic field work.

Moon clips are another issue, although Cheaper than Dirt had them for just over $9./3 clips.

This is my first redhawk and I hope that it will not be my last. I would like to see a round-butt redhawk in 41 Rem w/ 5_1/2"bbl......

Maybe a 7 shooter....... :)

Paul,

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
have the standard 4.2 RH 45 Colt and it is almost perfect. only thing I wish it had was the rounded grip frame. I have the Kodiak BackPacker .44 and just love that rounded grip frame. Shot a full box of 50 magnum rounds through it the first time I shot it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have two standard Redhawks a .44 and a .357 both excellent revolvers. Would like to all a .45 someday, mine carry a 7.5 inch barrels. Hope you find your holster, I carry mine in a bandolier style holster.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Ruger came back with a replaced cylinder and star, Accuracy is around 2-3" @ 50 feet so far and doesn't paste my face with burning powder. Working to make a new front sight that is a little thinner so I can aim a little tighter. The stock 1/8" front is just too thick.

Has the oddest sound when firing 45acp.

Paul,

·
24,003 Posts
is it a 4 inch gun. Ive had two of the 45 colts in 4 inch and one 44mag and none of them were exceptional shooters. Funny thing is ive shot redhawks in 5.5 and 7.5 that were tack drivers. I don't know what they do to those small ones but somethings funky. My buddy also had two of the 45s and neither of his shot for beans. Ive stuggled trying to get good groups out of a couple 25 smiths too in acp so would be very leary of a redhawk with a short barrel chambered in it. I had an Alaskan I had cut for moom clips so it would shoot 454s 45 colts and 45acps. It was surprisingly accurate with 454s mediocure with 45 colts and minute of coffee can with acps.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree with Lloyd , sort a ...... I have a 4" 44 that shoots fair , not what I'd call exceptional though. I've had two 7 1/2s that did shoot exceptional. Gave them both to my son. Now in all fairness , we all agree that the shorter the barrel the harder it is to shoot accurately. I would attribute much of the criticism to that. But in my Bisley 45 convertible ( 5 1/2" ) , the 45 C shoots very well ...the 4 acp , not so well.

regards , irold

·
2,655 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I would slug the barrel and chamber mouths (throats), and see what numbers I came up with. Accuracy issues may be caused by using bullets that do not fit well with these numbers. It seems numbers for the 45c / 45acp (in revolvers) seem to be all over the map in a lot of handguns. Right off the bat, you are dealing with two cartridges that usually have different sized bullets - .452 in the acp, and .454 in the 45c. For what its worth, my one Redhawk, a 1980's model 7.5 inch .44 mag with a red dot, has been accurate, and taken a fair number of deer over the years.

Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.