Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one had this happen? I loaded some what I thought were light loads to do a barrel breakin on my Rem. BDL SS 300 SAUM. The load was 130gr. sp Hornady over 53.5gr. H4895 and with some of the rounds the bolt lift seemed a little heavy but with such a mild load thought it was just me. So got to shooting 3 shot groups. Loaded up 3 180gr Nosler Accubonds over 58gr. of H4350, the start load in the Nosler #6. A great group - all three touching but the bolt is stiff. Anyone else have pressure signs at such mild loads? - my first time. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Alan

·
Registered
866 Posts
Take one of the rounds and color it with a black marker around the case bottle neck. Load the round and eject it. Check for marks on the marking pen around the case bottle neck. Possibly the bullet may need to be seated deeper. Marks will indicate that the round might be jamming into the lands.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I assume that they chamber easily. So, it's probably not the case mouth jamming or the bullet jamming. My thought is that the chamber might be a little rough and causing a little stiction. Examine the chamber area and see if you see any roughness. I once had a .270 win (Model 721 Remmy) with a tight neck that caused pressures to be higher than normal. New cartridges would fit in the chamber without any issues, but you could not slip a bullet into a fired case from this rifle.

Just a couple of suggestions.

How are the primers looking? Do they look overly stressed for the light loads you are using? If they are then there has to be something wrong with the chamber. ...or, er, the bore...

Based on another thread here, if you have a 7mm bullet, see if you can poke it in the muzzle. If you can't the bore may be the wrong ID for the caliber. Since it happened once on a Browning, who knows, it may have happened on your rifle.

EJ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys been away for some time but this is what I found after taking this gun to my smith. I had the problem when I was doing a barrel brake in and the only thing Ron my smith could figure out was I was not getting my bore completely dry cause if we made sure the bore was DRY no signs of pressure other wise the gun is fine Ron checked it over good. He did say the bore is smooth for a factory one and I was wasting some good ammo.

Thanks for your time Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.