Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After we talked about the Express in the last post I talked to others in the local shops. Remington was sold to Freedom Arms some time back. Since then the quality of the new Express has tanked. Fit, finish, and the only thing that really counts- RELIABILITY- have gone away. According to the shop keepers half of them jam the first time at the range and many have to be sent back to Remington for the fix. The buyers ask for them on the reputation of the 870 (mine 40 years no problems ) then come back crying. Remington has also had a lot of recalls on other products. This is heart breaking . I love all my old Rem stuff. I still use my dads old mod 6 rolling block -1920s and mod 41 target master-1930s.

The 870 was THE platform.

Freedom Arms has a sponsored spot on GBO. Would they like to comment?

Unless we can find a good used old school 870 my kid will be going to another brand.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i've had 2 friends with those and on both the
magazine spring slipped past the shell follower
and jammed up the action.

if you want a good pump for your son find a good
j.c. higgins model 20 made by high standard back
when i wore the 3 cornered drawers. fine workmanship
and built like a bank vault. you can hold the muzzle up
and touch the button and it'll fling an empty a good ways.
last one i bought was $112.00 at a pawn store.
probably sold for that new.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
::) :eek: ::) :eek:

Buy a old one!! Peddle that crap! I have a "few" 870's and lovem but wouldn't take a new one as a gift for free and wouldn't give one to a friend!!

Same goes for Marlin sadly... Crying shame.

But there is PLENTY of old good ones out there!!!

CW

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
Bad info.

It isn't Freedom Arms but The Freedom Group who bought Remington.

If it was Freedom Arms the price on them would be several times as much and they'd be made like fine Swiss watches.

Personally I've never liked the Express version of the 870 and even back before the Freedom Group bought them I thought them junk. I got rid of the one I had and only own Wingmaster 870s these days.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Ranger99 said:
if you want a good pump for your son find a good
j.c. higgins model 20 made by high standard.

My grandpa had one in 12 gauge. It was the first gun I ever shot other than pellet guns. I also shot my first squirrel with it. When he died I was given his Model 94 Winchester. He always said that he wanted me to have his Winchester, but sometimes I wish I had that shotgun.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I have had two of those Highstandard pump shotguns!!

The first was a hi grade 410. Beautiful, light weight silky smooth action. It was just like the add with the man in the tux was holding. (Remember those ads? I Do!) I loved to carry it. I sold it after missing like a dozen grouse in a row. Wish I still had it. My second was bought when I started duck hunting. I was told not to use a "nice" gun. So I bought this one. It came with two barrels a 30" full and 26" IC. But it had a weak spring and would not fire when you shoot it straight up! Shot fine level to ground. I actually traded it in a Remington Express when they first came out! I remember it was 169.99. This was mid 1980's.

CW

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
lakota said:
My grandpa had one in 12 gauge. . . . but sometimes I wish I had that shotgun.

cwlongshot said:
I have had two of those Highstandard pump shotguns!!. . . . .
CW

at one time when i made fantastic money during the reagan era, i had 3 of them.
last one was the most expensive at $112.00. i was fairly young and stupid and had
to have a 590 military shotgun, plus i had an auto 5, so i felt i could send those
down the road. :'( :'( :-X :-X :-[ :-[
bad bad bad mistake. those are the smoothest of pump action shotguns, and the
best priced for what they are and what they do. (one more :'( )

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts

CW

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
thanks for posting that :D ;)

looks like an old shooters bible

·
Registered
589 Posts
I bought a High Standard 20ga Skeet in 1971 for my wife. I gave $81 brand new for the gun, her and I both shot it a lot. My son used it for his first shotgun and I have it in the cabinet along with my Wingmasters. It will still be there the day I pass on and it will go to my son and grandson.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
A few years ago i looked at the 870 Express for my grandson. Looked like junk to me. Bought him a Mossberg 500. No problems with the 500 and it looks better than the Express. I do have an 870 Wingmaster that i will never part with.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Remington has really went downhill in the past 10 years or so. They're turning out a lot of junk under their own name, Marlin QC is hit or miss, they drove H&R right into the ground. It seems Mossberg is their only division that is still respectable quality, but who knows how long that will last.

I think it's a lot worse than what happened at Winchester in 1964, at least the post '64 Winchesters worked although they no longer looked as good as the pre '64's. Winchester's real downhill slide started after FN took them over and the guns no longer mattered to corporate, just the bean counters bottom line was important.

Too bad because they both were old, respected gunmakers who turned out quality arms for over a hundred years before being bought out by big corporate groups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.