Graybeard Outdoors banner

New ATI M1911 Military does not like 8 round mags.

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Bad Mike 
#1 ·
As the title has stated I recently bought a ATI Military 1911. I know it is a cheaper gun so I don't want any BS about it being a cheap gun and you get what you pay for. I have done some research and the problem comes from some of the most expensive guns all the way down to guns as cheap as mine. It sounds like some of the guns just don't seem to like the 8 round mags and has the same problems as mine.

My question is if any of you guys have had the same problem with your 1911s? The gun just does not want to cycle the first round of an 8 round mag. It nosedives and jams. After the first round it functions flawlessly.

I heard that their is a break in period, I have also heard this is BS. Will this problem get resolved with the break in period?

I can put 7 rounds in and it functions fine.

I have less then 100 rounds through it. It shoots beautifully, very accurate, functions fine (after the 8th round is chambered).

Hearing that the factory mag (act mag) may be the problem, I ordered 2 mecgar 8 rd mags. The new mags function better, but not flawless. I have kept the mags loaded because I heard this relaxes the springs. No luck yet.

I really like the gun and this is my first 1911. I have extensive firearms training in in glocks, so I am not new to handguns.

Any ideas guys.

Thanks, turk762

See less See more
#2 ·
I own 3 ATIs and haven't had a minutes problem out of any of them. I also own Colts, Kimbers, and Springfields and have never had such a problem with them either. More often than not any problem with first round take up is a problem with technique. Rip the slide back until it's ripped from your hand and let it slap forward as though a split second hesitation could mean your life. I run Wilson and Chip McCormick 8 rounders in everything. Clean the gun properly and remove any burrs or unwanted edges. Lube it up properly and shoot it.

The part about leaving a mag loaded making the spring weaker is pure BS. I have magazines that were loaded during WWII that are just as strong as they were new and function perfectly.

#3 ·
Old said:
I own 3 ATIs and haven't had a minutes problem out of any of them. I also own Colts, Kimbers, and Springfields and have never had such a problem with them either. More often than not any problem with first round take up is a problem with technique. Rip the slide back until it's ripped from your hand and let it slap forward as though a split second hesitation could mean your life. I run Wilson and Chip McCormick 8 rounders in everything. Clean the gun properly and remove any burrs or unwanted edges. Lube it up properly and shoot it.

The part about leaving a mag loaded making the spring weaker is pure BS. I have magazines that were loaded during WWII that are just as strong as they were new and function perfectly.
I tried it your way, no dice. Literally let it rip the slide out of my hand with authority, same result. I do not baby any of my firearms by easing the slide forward. It is a tool, not a safe queen. Every single time I try with the 8 it drives the bullet back into the case, so I am quite certain it is something other then bad technique. I cleaned it and oiled it very adequately. The firearm functions flawlessly when firing rounds. As for the mag springs getting weaker over time, I am certain that this is some what true, in my line of work we carry firearms and do have to occasionally change the mag springs due to weakening. But they are fully loaded for years and only get unloaded during training.

I guess I may have to be happy with a 7 shooter instead of an 8 rd.

I love the weapon I just wish I could get rid of this one hiccup in its function.

Thanks for the reply old Syko.

#6 ·
ive used Wilson and chip mccormick 8 round mags in every 1911 ive owned without trouble. they even ran fine in my officers sized guns. Never owned an ati though. if 7s work fine just buy the 7 round followers and swap them out.

#8 ·
Ex said:
If the bullet is driven back into the case, is the bullet hanging up on an overhang of the barrel above the feed ramp?
If so, sounds like the barrel needs to be mated better to the feed ramp.
It is hanging up in the mag well ramp. Below the barrel and feed ramp mating surface. If the bullet does not nosedive and hits the area of the barrel and mag area it drives it home. In order for it to do this I have to manipulate the bullet in the mag well through the open slide so it points up prior to releasing the mag. After I started having problems I polished the ramp and it helped but did not fix it.

#9 ·
Lloyd said:
ive used Wilson and chip mccormick 8 round mags in every 1911 ive owned without trouble. they even ran fine in my officers sized guns. Never owned an ati though. if 7s work fine just buy the 7 round followers and swap them out.
The 7 rounders are the option I am leaning towards. I will just operate the 8 rds mag with 7 rds and deal with it.

Thanks

#10 ·
Well guys, thanks for the help but I did some more internet research and found that this malfunction is called a three point malfunction. It sounds like any of the manufactures weapons on occasion have this problem. Most think that it is magazine related.

After much messing around with the weapon I think I have found out how she likes to be handled for the first of the 8 round mag. The magazine base must be pushed lightly up in the magazine well and the muzzle of the weapon must be pointed upright to chamber the first round. I have no idea why this is or if this will correct its self with age, but I have come to the conclusion that I have indeed bought myself a very finicky female weapon. She needs to be held just right and then she is happy and will then perform, but you must make her happy first. Hopefully, like a women, with age and use she will work the finickyness out of her system or she may find herself traded in for a new more reliable model. lol

Thanks guys

P.S. It should be noted that the above is in reference to the slide locked open.

After further experimenting I have learned that from a closed slide, fully loaded 8 rd mag muzzle must also be pointed upright, no hand on mag and it functioned smoothly with the worst of the mags I had. Maybe this will help someone else that buys one of these finicky female weapons. lol

#13 ·
No one should give you any BS about the ATI 1911's, they are some of the best value priced 1911's out there. Glad you figured it out, I have all three sizes of the ATI's, Govt, Commander and Officer styles. The only problems I have had has been with the Commander length that had a soft firing pin which Customer Service got one out to me very quickly and the Officers size that has a tendency to bing you in the top of the head with empty cases. I haven't took the time to adjust the ejector yet, just a matter of recontouring it.

Steve.........

#14 ·
Turk: try reversing your magazine springs to see if that helps. If not, replace them. I have had 8 round mags jam up the first round because the magazine spring was installed backwards but only with very wide flat nosed reloads; when using ball ammo my 45s cycle properly with one chambered and 8 in the mag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.