Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:grin: wife said yes to a barrel for my birthday(come on june). will probley go with a good used barrel from ed's. o.k. , what cal. to get? right i have 2 barrels(oh yeah,contender) a 7x30 and a .223, love them both. boyh 14" bulls. i also have 2 blackhawks .41mag. and .45colt. i'm looking toonly deer hunt with this new barre. so what gap do i fill? 35rem-375win-357max.-45-70-----or . thanks for you all's input. :D

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
357 Max, you will be very happy. Feliz Cumpleanos Amigo!
regards,
Graycg

·
Registered
579 Posts
Go get the 45-70. JD Jones referred to it as the 150 yard sledgehammer. Since you're from the Bayou state you could also add some wild hogs to the menu with it.

It takes a bit to get used to but once you have it you'll love it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would agree if it was an encore,but maybe with the contender I would try 444 Marlin, Ahhh, who am I kiddin' I'd get the 45-70 everyday. :-D

·
Registered
128 Posts
get the 45-70 you can load from 300 gr to 535 gr bullets and it is a 150 yard sledgehammer. I have take just about every thing you can with it and I love it! I have never had to track anything that I shot with it. but get a SSK berrel, I've been shooting mine for 15 years or more.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a .444 marlin. that would save me money on dies and comp. but being i already have a .444 rifle, i don't konw. like different cals. more loads to experiment with.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
357 max kills swamp deer and pigs dead. Carbide dies, easy to get components, reasonable recoil, flat trajectory, big bullets...yeah, Max sounds better and better.
Graycg

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
dang boys! you missed this one. :) the middle ground is wide open for a good 6mm. a 6tcu,6x45, or 6x47. the 7-30 will handle most of your deer needs. the .223 will handle most of your varmint needs. the 6mm's would work for both and be great for long range varmints and especially coyote. it would also provide another accurate round for target work. you already have the straight wall cases covered with the revolvers an .444marlin. add one of the 6mm's for the perfect :eek: setup in my opinion. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
interesting Kyode 6mm hmm. alot lot of 45-70 fans out there. what is max. safe pressure in 45-70. now 35rem. or 375win. fans out there. if not i should be able to get one of those barrels cheap.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interesting Kyode 6mm hmm. alot lot of 45-70 fans out there. what is max. safe pressure in 45-70. no 35rem. or 375win. fans out there. if not i should be able to get one of those barrels cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts