Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 1/2 stainless ady sight bisley bought it about 2 weeks ago and brought it right to my gunsmith for an action job and a belt mountain pin. Just got it back last night now its to the range to give her a try. Now I have the .44 to keep the .45 company. As a side not I just got my .475 back from SK grips he fit my stag grips to the frame. He does a great job I also have a set of french walnut stocks on my .500 he made and they are beautiful!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Lloyd

Does your grips have any flare to them or anything special? The standard Bisley grip with hot 45 loads make me hit my middle finger knuckle on the trigger guard. I know you have some boomers and wondered if you have that problem.

Thanks

Hcliff

·
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a permantly swelled middle nuckle :) I think that the bone is callaused cause even being swollen it doesnt hurt much anymore. Most of my bisleys have the swell taken out of them this new one doesnt and Im not a big fan of the .44 so at the most maybe a set of lett grips will go on it I wouldnt even do that but the factory grips fit so pourly and none of the ones I have on hand will fit it real good. If you want your grips reshaped SK grips does a real good job for a fair price he just did my stags for the .475 and did a **** of a job he removed the flair and fitted them to the gun. I think he charged me $40 and that included return shipping. Theres only about a two week turn around.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Lloyd Smale said:
I have a permantly swelled middle nuckle :) I think that the bone is callaused cause even being swollen it doesnt hurt much anymore.
So it doesn't hurt much in relation to what? :twisted: And how many rounds is it gonna take? Uffda, my knuckle hurts! :cry:

·
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took quite a few thousand rounds to get it :) It still is not immune to pain after a couple hundred heavy .475 or .500 rounds it reminds me its still there. Make sure when your shooting that you have a firm grip not a death grip though and dont use a shooting glove they are to thick and will not allow for a good grip. A plain leather glove is all i use and remember pain is good for the soul!
Hud said:
Lloyd Smale said:
I have a permantly swelled middle nuckle :) I think that the bone is callaused cause even being swollen it doesnt hurt much anymore.
So it doesn't hurt much in relation to what? :twisted: And how many rounds is it gonna take? Uffda, my knuckle hurts! :cry:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Lloyd you are a crazy man!! :) Here I thought I was the only one who got that knuckle syndrome.

I was wondering about the grip because I also thought about putting "filler" in between the grip and the trigger guard with a new grip just like they do on some double action guns . Removing the flare is a cheaper step to try because I already have a extra grip.

I was talking to one of my customer that restores wooden boats and makes wooden signs and wooden trade show booths. I found out he was a rifle hunter and did his own stocks. I asked him if he did handgun stocks. He said he would try anything once. He said the little wood used on the handgun grip is scraps he has lying around of exotic wood :p .

Thanks

Heath

What did you harvest this year in the U.P. with the sixguns?

·
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One buck with the .500 one with the .45 and a doe with the smoke pole and earlier a boar with the .475 take care.
Hcliff said:
Lloyd you are a crazy man!! :) Here I thought I was the only one who got that knuckle syndrome.

I was wondering about the grip because I also thought about putting "filler" in between the grip and the trigger guard with a new grip just like they do on some double action guns . Removing the flare is a cheaper step to try because I already have a extra grip.

I was talking to one of my customer that restores wooden boats and makes wooden signs and wooden trade show booths. I found out he was a rifle hunter and did his own stocks. I asked him if he did handgun stocks. He said he would try anything once. He said the little wood used on the handgun grip is scraps he has lying around of exotic wood :p .

Thanks

Heath

What did you harvest this year in the U.P. with the sixguns?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Cool!! :grin: Sounds like Lloyd is got one full freezer. I see you favor none of your gun but you them all. :grin:

Thanks

Hcliff

·
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to many guns and not enough money to hunt with them all I have to quit buying new guns and start hunting more with the ones I have. As I say this im in the process of picking up a marlin 18 1/2 inch oct barrel 4570 :-D
Hcliff said:
Cool!! :grin: Sounds like Lloyd is got one full freezer. I see you favor none of your gun but you them all. :grin:

Thanks

Hcliff

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know what you mean. I have a few virgins gun that haven't harvested anything yet. That new 50 Smith Mag Cartridge has me intrested. I am not sure about the Smith gun, but I know someone will build something that I "must" have with that cartridge :grin: .

People (including my girlfriend and non shooters) don't under stand that some of us need new toys to keep us happy
:)

Heath

·
22,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im blessed to find a women that understands and even helps me reload. She claims the lee priming tools are hers and who am I to argue :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts