Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jerome Country Market set a record for themselves....516 deer opening day and 516 deer day two. Don't know how this compares to other buck poles, but that's alot of venison! Jerome is about 20 minutes from my house, guess I better start making a trip over there for the festivities! Enjoy, Scott B.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Makes me wonder how many more absentees there were. I, for one, have never hung a buck on a buck pole. Mine go from the field to the meat processing room in the barn to the kitchen and freezer.

Pete

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pete, I'd say this is just a sampling of the deer taken opening day, not to mention bow season and youth hunts. Many families follow your route, unless they want summer sausage. Jerome Country Market is a destination stop for lots of people, a full-on custom butcher shop with specialty cuts and a big jerky selection, so they draw from a wide area. From the sounds of all the shooting around me I'd say alot of freezers were replenished this fall....Scott B.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The picture above looks like the epitome of an extreme 'buck pole'. I consider the term rather loose, could be as simple as hanging up one deer in your garage prior to butchering.

At some camps there may be a large limb able to hold 3-4 deer as necessary for a while. Then there is the traditional, cross timber or log made for hanging a deer. Where I usually hunt we have a large Maple with limbs that can easily hold 4-6 or so. Then if it's warm they get processed right away.

One has to also factor in security, more than one has been stolen while the hunters were away.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
That is one bunch of venison. Should warm the hearts of the insurance institute of Michigan.
I also have never hung a deer on a public buck pole. We had a big oak tree at UP deer camp then just made a pole with cross bar set up.
Shame on any one wanting to steal a one off our pole.

Here at home I hang them in the pole barn and process them ASAP.

:D Al

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think most camps have some method of hanging up harvested deer, just from a practical practice. Al mentioned the insurance company aspect, which is interesting. Within a half-mile of my house lay two fat does along the roadway, and just a couple days ago a buck smashed thru the windshield of a car putting the 17 year old passenger in intensive care with multiple serious injuries. Even after the big die-off from the epizootic(sp?) a couple years ago we still have lots of deer.

Scott B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts