Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I’d share a few pics of my new to me Contender with Super 14 in 7-30 Waters!! Just shot for the first time last weekend to get it dialed in and it was a blast (no pun intended)! :) Already was a huge TC Encore fan and excited to add to the collection. Can’t wait to get this one on the deer this Fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
It is my claim that more shooters are enlisted to the ranks of contender shooters by the use of the 7-30 Waters than an other cartridge.
With Ken Waters' development there is very little to improve upon and the performance of the contender with that cartridge is surprising to most people even today!
Off the bench, a set of legs really gives you some confidence. Your rest looks as though you don't need 'em, tho.
Fabulous setup, Congrats.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got my 7-30 waters back in 88' and it's still my favorite cartridge in a 14" barrel. Still looking to harvest my first buck with it but it has put a lot of venison in the freezer. Good luck with yours this season

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is my claim that more shooters are enlisted to the ranks of contender shooters by the use of the 7-30 Waters than an other cartridge.
With Ken Waters' development there is very little to improve upon and the performance of the contender with that cartridge is surprising to most people even today!
Off the bench, a set of legs really gives you some confidence. Your rest looks as though you don't need 'em, tho.
Fabulous setup, Congrats.

Nice legs and group!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my 7-30 waters back in 88' and it's still my favorite cartridge in a 14" barrel. Still looking to harvest my first buck with it but it has put a lot of venison in the freezer. Good luck with yours this season

Thanks KY same to you

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh, I bet that muzzle break is going to make it loud!

I have a 14” barrel in 7-30 Waters.....awesome cartridge! I’ve taken a few deer with it over the last few years. Definitely gets the job done. I’ll b3 using it this year too, but I’m really hoping to christen the 14” in .44 Magnum. I’ve taken deer with the .44 Magnum in other handguns (Super Redhawk) but need to christen the T/C!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I bet that muzzle break is going to make it loud!

I have a 14” barrel in 7-30 Waters.....awesome cartridge! I’ve taken a few deer with it over the last few years. Definitely gets the job done. I’ll b3 using it this year too, but I’m really hoping to christen the 14” in .44 Magnum. I’ve taken deer with the .44 Magnum in other handguns (Super Redhawk) but need to christen the T/C!

Guys they aren’t loud at all when you wear hearing protection. I wear it now a days with any and all of my firearms., muzzle brake or not. Just makes good sense. The Walkers alpha 360 quad muffs are perfect when shooting and hunting. Helps to hear range commands clearly and work well at amplifying sounds in the woods. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Walt,
That 'thingy' unscrews and a thread protector is used when not in use.
If it were pinned also I'd usually have a buttstock attached.
It's a nice option for the bench, tho.
Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
I love my 7-30 in G2 rifle format killed a number of deer with it.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love my 7-30 in G2 rifle format killed a number of deer with it.

Deaconllb

Deacon, any favorite loads on deer? I’m just getting started with this barrel so I’ve sighted in with production Federal Premium. Reviews seem good for deer on that round...another couple weeks and we will find out here in MS!

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
When I first got my 7x30 waters barrel I used the Federal 120 GRN and they worked great I have reloaded some 139 Sierra and they shoot good with H 4895 load listed in the reloading manual but have not shot any deer with them yet hope to change that with our rifle season in a couple weeks or our holiday special hunt does only about Christmas time.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I first got my 7x30 waters barrel I used the Federal 120 GRN and they worked great I have reloaded some 139 Sierra and they shoot good with H 4895 load listed in the reloading manual but have not shot any deer with them yet hope to change that with our rifle season in a couple weeks or our holiday special hunt does only about Christmas time.

Deaconllb

Good deal, thanks and good luck! I’ll give the 120 gr Feds and shot and hope to post an update soon!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dg since my supply of the Hornady 120gr SSP bullets ran out ( discontinued Single Shot Pistol ) I have been using the Hornady 120gr HP with a mid range book listed load of IMR 4064 with good results. I try for broad side chest shots thru the lungs but have no issues when striking the shoulders other than a lot of meat damage as with any other high powered round.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Dg since my supply of the Hornady 120gr SSP bullets ran out ( discontinued Single Shot Pistol ) I have been using the Hornady 120gr HP with a mid range book listed load of IMR 4064 with good results. I try for broad side chest shots thru the lungs but have no issues when striking the shoulders other than a lot of meat damage as with any other high powered round.
Rumor has it the 120 VMAX is the 120 SSP renamed. Someone said they called Hornady and they told them that. When you slow the VMAX down to 7-30 velocities, it acts more like a big game bullet instead of a varmint round.

Rosewood

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dg how did your hunt go with the 7-30 waters. I took two doe at 60 and 85 yards with my 7-30. I did manage to take my first buck with a handgun this year but it was with my 14" contender in 44 mag

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Rumor has it the 120 VMAX is the 120 SSP renamed. Someone said they called Hornady and they told them that. When you slow the VMAX down to 7-30 velocities, it acts more like a big game bullet instead of a varmint round.

Rosewood
Tried and true! Not in a 7-30, but in it's twin sister 7mm/30-30AI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dg how did your hunt go with the 7-30 waters. I took two doe at 60 and 85 yards with my 7-30. I did manage to take my first buck with a handgun this year but it was with my 14" contender in 44 mag

Hey KY that’s great! Our rifle/handgun is just getting going good here in MS and I hope to get a shot with it soon. So far I’ve only seen small bucks and does. Waiting on the big one! Good luck rest of the season!

Coleman

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Deer down!! First shot at a deer was 50 yards and she dropped like a rock! If I wasn’t hooked already I certainly am now!! She was a huge doe. Then shortly thereafter had a nice young 8 point come in. He just didn’t measure up on the home place or I would have tried a “daily double”!! Good times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts