Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking around this site for a while, trying to get info on a new rifle. I sold a few older rifles and bought a new CZ550 in .30-06. What sold me was the single set trigger. It is like having 2 triggers in one. The action was the smoothest and the fit and finish was the best of everything I looked at including Tikka, Sako, Remington, Browning, Thompson Cemter and Savage. I will be mounting a Nikon Prostaff 3x9-40 later this week when I get time. Can't wait to shoot it!! If anyone has any factory ammo suggestions I am all ears. I will be shooting 130gr or 150gr for mule deer and 180gr for elk here in Colorado. This site is great!!!

Thanks for all the great information.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Stick with the 150s or larger with the 30-06. The velocity that you will get out of the old 06 is a little fast for the smaller 30 caliber bullets. They are designed for slower velocities like you get out of the 7.62x39 mm (AK 47) and may not perform to your liking. I have not used the lighter weight solids that Barnes produces, I have heard that they perform quiet well. I have had some really good performance from 150 grain bullets on deer sized animals, pushing them to almost 3000 fps. I think that you will like the CZ, I have one in 375 H & H and regard it quiet high. I can't help you with the factory load side of this, I haven't shot a factory cartridge in at least 25 years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts