Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TC New Englander 12 gauge that will accept screw in chokes. I want to try shooting patched round balls through it. If anyone has any experience or recommendations, I'd appreciate the advice. It seems tat .690 balls with .020 patching is the norm. Thanks snood

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
About the choke.

I fire Lee .69 round ball in my 870. You probably don't want to fire it through a choke. Drop one through first. Full choke is too tight for comfort. In a muzzle loader it is probably the same. In a cartridge I use a thin wall 1oz wad with 1oz target data. Lots-o-fun! The patch should work but get info from the other guys first. My input is about the choke. They left "SKID MARKS" in my full choke even though they will pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Those screw-in T/C choke tubes make the New Englander shotgun too difficult to load. I have had reasonable success shooting the Lyman .662 round ball in a AA shot sleeve out of my New Englander AFTER I remove the choke tube and leave it out. Ideally, one would have a "cylinder-bore" choke tube but Thompson Center did not supply or make one.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
curator said:
Those screw-in T/C choke tubes make the New Englander shotgun too difficult to load. I have had reasonable success shooting the Lyman .662 round ball in a AA shot sleeve out of my New Englander AFTER I remove the choke tube and leave it out. Ideally, one would have a "cylinder-bore" choke tube but Thompson Center did not supply or make one.
I believe that there is a warning in the TC manual about damaging the threads for the choke tube, if you do this.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
curator said:
the T/C manual clearly states to remove the choke tube to load the gun but not to shoot the gun without the tube as you'll damage the threads if not worse. their choke tubes use the same .813 by 32 threads as Winchester, Mossberg, Savage, H&R and numerous other makers so findin' a cylinder bore tube should be no problem at all.

and for what it's worth, as long as you use good soft lead, there would be no harm in shootin' a roundball even in a full choke but accuracy may suffer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bubba50,

Thanks for that info on the choke size. I will try to get a cylinder bore choke tube for my New Englander so I don't have to spend the time cleaning the choke-threads after shooting it with the tube removed. Yes, Yes, I got the information about possibly damaging the choke threads firing the gun with the tube removed. Since I have been doing this for more than 20 years and possibly 400+ round balls fired out of it, I understand their concern. My .662 round ball loads using AA shot sleeves have not damaged the choke threads in all this time, and may never. There is a considerable amount of fouling including a bit of plastic that ends up in the threads after firing several round ball/shot sleeve loads. I diligently clean the choke threads with a bronze-bristle brush before coating the threads with copper anti-seize compound and re-installing the choke tube. I have considered cutting the threaded portion off the barrel but the occasional turkey hunt where the full choke comes in handy has prevented me from doing this.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've loaded mine successfully with cylinder bore chokes.
It's been a while but I believe i used s 690 ball with a denim patch and 80 grains of ff. That load would shoot about 2 inches at 25 yards

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I use Lee .69 and 1oz slug molds. They work very well. Cabelas and Midway under $25. I would get the 7/8oz slug as it will give more options for combo loads in shells. I have been playing with Buck & Ball/slug loads with some good results. Have worked up a copy of the Winchester PDX 12 buck and slug. http://winchesterproductdemos.winchester.com/index.htm?i=20#t

1 - 11 of 11 Posts