Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to buy an new groundhog gun in .22-250. I currently have a savage 110FLXP in .22-250 that is left handed has a synthetic stock and a sporter barrel. I am looking to upgrade this rifle to one with a bull barrel and a wooden stock. (I don't really like synthetics too much) I would like to use it for groundhogs and also at the target range. I was looking at both the T/C Encore with a 26" heavy barrel and the new Savage low profile varminter left hand. I have heard so many good things about the new savages and the accu-trigger. I was wondering if the Encore could compare to the savage's accuracy? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I'm no fan of Savage, but even I must admit that they are generally very accurate rifles. I'm not sure about their specific models, but I'm sure that you can go to their website and take a look.

I know that Tikka used to make the Continental, a heavy bbl wood stocked rifle. There may still be some for sale.

I can't argue with your wanting a wood stock - there's nothing wrong with that. Thing is, there are a lot more rifles with synthetic stocks out there and you may be limiting yourself. Tikka's new Varmint series are awesome rifles. I'd definately take a look at those.

BTW, I understand your wanting a bull barrel, but is there any particular reason why you want a 26" barrel from a .22-250? Even a 24" is plenty.

Zachary[/color]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only reason that I mentioned a 26" barrel is because that is the standard length that the bull barrels for the Encore. The 24" barrels from T/C are all sporter weight.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I have an Encore in 22-250. It is a great gun, very accurate. :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
Take a look at the Savage 12BVSS. For the money they are a great rifle and I've yet to hear of one that didn't shoot great. I'm not sure if they offer a south paw version though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was just on the Savage web site and saw the low profile varmit you were talking about. I was thinking it was based on the model 40 single shot but it is actually a model 12 BVSS with a lower profile stock. I also noticed it is the only left hand varmit rifle they offer with a wood stock and multiple round capacity. I would expect the savage to be a shooter. I have also had good luck with some encore barrels (I never owned a 22-250 encore) and not such good luck with others. If you have the desire to switch calibers down the road the encore may be a better choice but from an accuracy standpoint I'd opt for the savage.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have a Remington 700 in 22-250. Savage hasn't showed me anything. Had alot of trouble with a Savage I bought. But thats me and I hope no one else has that trouble. :D

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Crudders32,

I currently have a savage 110FLXP in .22-250 that is left handed
I take it you're left handed so I would check out the Savage Model 12 Varminter Low Profile Left Hand version. My son, who must shoot left handed, is saving up for this model in .204 Ruger. The thing I like about it is I am going to get to check out the .204 Ruger cartridge without it costing me a dime. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go with the Savage. My 12FV shoots awesome groups all day and stays at POA even when it gets hot. Trigger IS great. Mines down at 1.5 lbs, and crisp as snapping glass. You already have a Savage, so you know what to expect in the accuracy dept., and it may be time for you to try out this little improvement. The Encore should be decent and MIGHT even match the average Savage, but that's going to be purely luck of the draw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts