Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having some issues with my CVA 35 Whelen, and deer season right around the corner. I went to sight in my 35. It does fine at 25/50yds, but it is all out of wack at 100. While i was there, my cousin brought out his 44 mag. Myself and my G/F shot it and was instantly hooked! Found one this past wednesday and plan on sighting it in sunday (with a 3-9/40 Nikon Prostaff) that i am going to take off my 35. I was just curious as to where you all are putting these o-rings and if its that important. I would really like to go sunday and out shoot him right out the box,lol. This gun is brand new and i plan on shooting it before i go to his house. Thanx for any info ;o)

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Shoot it first and see how it does. I think too many folks try to overthink this and start fixing things that aren't broke!

The "O" ring goes between the forend and barrel on the barrel stud, basically to float the barrel to keep it off the wood of the forend.

Good luck and see what kind of ammo your cousin was using and give it a try and see if you get the same results.

BTW, Welcome to the forum and let us know how it does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was using the Hornady LeverRevolutions. I also agree with "if it aint broke, dont fix it" I have been reading on here and was just curious as to the o-ring mod. I'm just getting into the single shot-center fire rifles, and so far my 35 is just been a big headace,lol. I'll get some lead down range and see how it goes. Much Thanx :)

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Those LE rounds seem to shoot well in most Handi's so that is what I would go with on such short notice.

Trying different ammo can get expensive trying to find what your rifle likes and reloaders can usually fit a load fairly quick.

The forend can be pinpointed as usually the culprit, when it comes to accuracy problems, but other factors can also rear the ugly head, so give the LE's a go and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Welcome to the sight, and congrats on the 44.You may have to try different ammo before settling on one, mine shot hornady 240 xtp the best, good luck and let us know how it does.

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
I think you'll come to really like that 44. ;)
I have two and they both are outstanding.

But somewhere down the road you'll need to get a 45-70. ::) ;D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i got my scope rings today(Leupold see through). I.M.O it's a lil to high, so i might switch to medium rings. But i also went through the gun a put some medium loktite on the rail,rings, and the main screw on the barrel. Did i mess up by doing this?? I hope not, but i did get to looking at my 35, and come to find out...my scope rail was LOOSE! All 4 screws were merely hand tight! So i hope to have some good results and will post pics as soon as i sling some lead!

Thanx for the responces. I'll keep everyone updated :)

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Anonymous said:
Well i got my scope rings today(Leupold see through). I.M.O it's a lil to high, so i might switch to medium rings. But i also went through the gun a put some medium loktite on the rail,rings, and the main screw on the barrel. Did i mess up by doing this?? I hope not, but i did get to looking at my 35, and come to find out...my scope rail was LOOSE! All 4 screws were merely hand tight! So i hope to have some good results and will post pics as soon as i sling some lead!

Thanx for the responces. I'll keep everyone updated :)
I agree with the locktite on the rail, & ring screws, but not on the barrel underlug screw. That's the one you call the main screw right? If the loktite is not the permanent type, then no harm done, it's just going to make your removing the barrel hard. If you plan on ever removing or changing the barrel, that's the screw you don't want to loktite.
I also had good results with the 240gr Winchester white box load. Good luck with your new Handi.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Old said:
I think you'll come to really like that 44. ;)
I have two and they both are outstanding.

But somewhere down the road you'll need to get a 45-70. ::) ;D
+ 1 with that, and don't forget the old 30-30, another great chambering.

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
WELCOME!

Good luck with the 44!

As for messing up, only if permanent loctite and even then only if you want to remove it at a later date. ;)

Personally I NEVER locktite ANY rings, only bases. I clean the holes on the barrel with a good solvent to be sure all oils are removed, blow them out with compressed air to dry. Ten clean the screws the same way. I wrap the barrel with wet dry sand paper and test fit the base to the barrel. Any high spots will quickly become apparent with a few back and forth movements. Once its "fit" I assemble the base to the barrel with red locktite. I prefer red myself as I do not remove them once installed. If you do, I recommend blue loctite.
Now clean the scope screws in the same manor only don't use locktite. They are easily checked every once in a while. While the base screws are generally not accessible.

BTW, all of this as well as all kinds of great tips are avalible to you in our FAQ's at the top of this page. ;)

CW

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
At the top of the forum homepage, there's a link to the picture site: http://www.myhostedpics.com/

You have to register there separately, then make sure your pictures are resized to no bigger than 800pixels in any direction and overall size has to meet specs. I typically save as a jpg, then you click the upload button in the picture sight and find the picture on your hard drive. If it uploads properly, it'll show a little sample of the image. Then if you click on My Images and it gives you (4) kind of links to the picture. Typically you can just highlight the BB Code one and paste it into the text box of your message. Click preview if you want to see if it pulls the picture in correctly. ;) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok,thanx. I havent had time to upload pics yet but i have a piece of interesting information to share!!!!

I came across a thing called "Nikon Spot On". It takes everything possible and gives you all of your infor mation(not gonna go into full dteail) but here is what happened.

I put in my gun,scope and load. I zeroed in at 100yds. Now it told me that i should be +2.11 at 50yds, so keep this in mind.....

I sighted in at 50yds at my house,then went to my cousins to shoot at 100....bang! 1st shot 2" low at 100..hmmmm ;O). So if i was to sight in 2" high at 50, i should be SPOT ON at 100!!!

Ya'll try it out, it was pretty accurate with 44mag/nikon 3-9/40,with hornadt 250gr ftx! Its nikon.com/spoton

·
Registered
139 Posts
I might be going against the grain, but I'd say if you won't have to go out of you're way to do it, go ahead and slip a washer or o-ring onto the forend stud.
I don't think anyone has ever reported worse accuracy after doing this, but a huge number of people have reported better accuracy.
Basically, the worst thing that happens if you add the o-ring / washer, but later find it wasn't necessary, is you go to the range and enjoy the gun anyways. The worst thing that happens if you don't add the o-ring when it could have used that mod is you waste a whole range trip flinging lead all over the place, not to mention like $20 or $30 or $40 worth of ammo, and end up with a negative experience instead of a positive one.
Adding a washer under my forend stud took my .308 from an ~8-10MOA shooter to a <2moa shooter (and I'm not that good, nor have I shot from an actual rest).

·
Registered
114 Posts
One thing I wish I knew before I shot my first Handi would be to clean the oil out of the hinge areas of the action. It can change a pattern into a group in one step.- Pete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.