Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this on the medium bore wire and it is dead over there.

Well after it took me a while to get my hands on some ammo, I finally made it to the range. I managed to get some 200 gr. Fusion rounds ($24.95 a box) and they shot very well. I didn't do any shot groups due to the fact that I was breaking in the barrel. I also got my hands on some high dollar ammo ($44.95 a box). It was Federal premium, 180 gr Nosler Accubond rounds. Will not shoot these till I am ready to get gun ready for the woods. Boy that is some high dollar stuff. Glad I reload.

I have reloaded some 215 gr. Sierra GameKings and also 200 gr. Hornaday Interlock bullets. I will start with Win 748. I will also try some IMR 4895 and 3031. I got plenty of the old stuff and want to give it a try. I got the 748 because of I have been told to try the medium burn powder first with this new round. Will give you guys an update when I finish the test rounds.

Now as to the Kimber. This is my first Kimber and I am more then impressed! I was very surprised with the mild recoil of this small gun. I think with the VX-II scope, it weighs just over six pounds. I honestly think the recoil is comparable with a .30-06.

The fit and finish of this gun is sweet. I am in love with it and will have many good years in the woods with it.

If anyone has had any experiences with this new cartridge, let me know. ;)

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Thanks for the good information. I think it's an interesting development. I'm particularly delighted by your report of the manageable recoil. I wonder how much the stock design affects this. After you get some more experience with it, I'd appreciate your posting an update. I'd like to see how it's working out for you.

Does your rifle have the synthetic stock? What configuration did you get? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry bout that. I got the wood stock. It is the Classic model in walnut wood stock. It is the blued barrel version. They come with the barrel free floated and the action is pillar bedded.

I went to the range and enjoyed my session. The barrel is still being broke in, but the initial groups are very promising (right at the 1.5 to 2" range). I know it will shoot better, but still have not loaded anything but the 215 gr. Sierra and 200 gr. Hornadays. After shooting a few more rounds through the barrel I will shoot the high dollar 180 gr. Nosler Accubonds next. My only problem is that there is so few data available for this new round. I did however like the medium burn powder Win 748. It is grouping a lot better then the faster powder. I have had people tell me that I should use IMR 4350 powder, but Hodgdon had no data for this powder on this round.

I am starting to get busy with hunting season coming up soon, but will get back with this caliber after things quiet down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Larry,
Thanks for the report! I have really been fascinated with this cartridge. I have been pondering one myself. I need it like a hole in the head but it just seems like such a neat balance of so many things. keep us updated. Good luck!

banen

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Banen, when did need have anything to do with our wants!!! ;) I don't have any problem with buying a new gun, that is as long as "She, the one who must be obeyed" doesn't have a problem with it. ;)

Will do, I will be reloading some more cartridges here soon. I only wish my Chrony was working. I tried to get someone from the company to help, but all I got was an attitude email back that I was hooking it up wrong. I may just go out and order a new Oehler for myself, and send that idiot at Chrony an email and rub it in. How does that sound??? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
LL,

I also have a Kimber, but it's a Montana Stainless/Synthetic version in .300WSM. As to quality and fit and finish, the Kimbers are truly in a class above virtually all other production rifles. Granted, the reason is probably because the Kimbers are semi-production guns.

Keep in mind that, surprisingly enough, my particular Kimber had a defective bolt - go figure. I had a post about this about 2 or 3 years ago or so. I must say, customer service was lightning fast. I got a new bolt within about 10 days! Again, other than that, the quality and fit and finish are outstanding. I think that Sakos are also a cut above the rest, and probably close to Kimber, but I think that Kimbers are probably a hair higher in quality and fit and finish than the Sakos.

My favorite guns in the $1,000 price range are the Sakos and the Kimbers. When people often ask me what gun to get in this price range, I often recommend these two. Then, when people ask me which of the two to get, my advise is actually very simple: If you don't mind the extra weight, then get the Sako. If you want/need a lighter gun, then get the Kimber.

And trust me, after the barrel gets broken in, it will shoot better groups. Also, it appears that given that the Kimber barrels are so skinny, they are finiky when it comes to bullets and/or loads. In my 300WSM, I got about 1.5" groups with Federal Premium 180 Barnes TSX, but 1" groups with Federal Premium 180 Nosler Partitions. As such, try different loads because I'm certain that your Kimber should do better than 1.5"

Zachary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts