Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from central Alabama and Roll Tide.

I had plans to go out to several gun stores and big pawn shops yesterday just to see what was out there. First stop found nothing remarkable, but in the second I found something that caught my eye. In one of the showcases I found my new FA 97 (See sig for details). I've always liked revolvers but have only owned one in the past. I took my first CC cert range test with a fixed barrel Dan Wesson 45 I owned years ago (it wasn't my carry... just wanted to fire it). Fast forward to yesterday, and having recently watched Back to the Future III (re: Colt Peacemaker) LOL, I had to inquire about it.

I wasn't familiar with FA but it felt/feels good in my hand. The frame is a bit small for my bear paw, but not too bad. Dealer said there was some interest, but between the ticket price and COVID, that they had had it for quite some time. They said they could do just under $1800, I offered a bit less, and the deal was done. Impulse buy.

When I got home I started looking online to see what I had just done to my bank account... and am really happy that I made a great investment. Looks like I saved over $600 from most list prices. Yes! My only "could be better" hedges are that I think I prefer a 5.5" barrel, and now will have to buy another size 45 ammo (I have a S&W 1911 model E, and a Henry 45-70).

After spending a good while on the FA site I may just send it in to swap the barrel and cylinder... 5.5"..... fluted 45 acp.... hmmmm decisions. Anyway, I'm having fun reading all of the posts. Hopefully this forum becomes more active again as we get out and have fun again.

Brad

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I’m sure you will enjoy owning your first Freedom Arms revolver. I must warn you that they multiply.
I personally have never owned a 97, but own a few 83’s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...and after a trip to Wyoming. 5.5 and a fluted cylinder. Had them send me a holster as well.
Retrofit FA 97.jpg

Reactions: lumpy grits

·
23,750 Posts
nice looking gun and imo the hands down best barrel length for a single action. Perfect holster gun.

Reactions: BWS

·
Registered
355 Posts
Good choice.
What was the bbl length?
How long did the work take?
Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was 4.5 inches, and it only took about two weeks. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they were able to turn it.

Reactions: lumpy grits
1 - 6 of 6 Posts