Graybeard Outdoors banner

New NEF 17 hmr and 17hmr ammo price goes up

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Buckman 
#1 ·
I just bought a NEF 17hmr and got a couple boxes of cci 17 grain ammo. The first six shots out of the gun and I had the scope somewhat sighted in. I got 3 shots all touching at 40 yards. I want to sight it in at farther yardage but 40 was all I could get for know. I paid $10.99 a box for the cci 17 grain thats all the place had available in a 17 grain bullet. Today I am at a bigger store that specializes in sporting goods and all of their 17 hmr ammo is marked $19.99 a box. They have a large selection but the price tag under the marked up one read $12.99. Why such an increase? Thats $.40 a shot with out adding state tax! For such a little bullet and small amount of copper that feels like a rip off. I was wondering what the rest of you guys pay for ammo and if youve seen an increase also? I was talking with my dad and we were discussing getting a bunch of guys together around home and try buying in volume somewhere to try to get the stuff cheaper has anyone done this?
I am very happy with my first 17 hmr in a NEF rifle. It has a much nicer trigger than the NEF 22lr I traded in on it.
One last question, does the 17hmr like a clean barrel or leave it somewhat dirty for good accuracy? Thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome to GBO! You evidently haven't bought much ammo in the last 6month or so, ALL ammo has gone up drastically lately and is going up again in January, so be glad you can get the 17hmr ammo for $11 a box. When I started shooting the Hmr 4 yrs ago, it was $7-$8 a box, sometimes $9. I haven't bought any for a long time now, I stocked up on what shoots well and have about 2000 rounds or so to keep all 4 of my 17hmrs running for quite a while. If you keep an eye on the 17hmr Ammunition forum at RFC, you'll find where the good buys are, there's a current thread now about the price at Gander, $20 a box, while Midsouth has Hornady for $8.86, $5.95 flat shipping on $100 orders until the end of the year. ;) You would be wise to try different makes of ammo, one will usually shoot better than others.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Midsouth 17hmr and 17M2 ammo

I don't clean mine until they quit shooting good, when they are clean, it takes about half a box of ammo to start shooting good, the Sportster 17hmr will do 1" or less 5-shot groups at 100yds. See the FAQs and Help sticky of accuracy and break-in tips.

Tim

#3 ·
No I havent bought much just a few boxes of light load shotgun and some 22lr. Looks like I will be investing in some soon. Maybe more ammo before a new scope now. I only have a 4x now and was thinking of a 3x12 for the longer ranges. Is ther a particular brand ammo that Most NEFs like in a 17 grain bullet? How do 20 grain bullets compare to the 17 grain is there much loss in trajectory at longer ranges?
Thanks for the input.

#4 ·
I give 10 some thing a box for 50 rounds of 17HMR even at a gun shop a guy owns where all the ammo is high for ever cal he gets 12.00 a box i feel sorry for u if thats the cheapest ammo u can find at 19.00 a box if i had do give that much i wouldnt be shooting my 17HMR much and would shoot my 17M2 and my 22 mag more, but i like how accurate my two bolt 17HMRs are so i shoot them alott

#5 ·
20gr shoot a little lower, not as accurate in any of mine, but that's just mine, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, even tho all of the ammo is made in the CCI Lewiston plant, they certainly don't shoot the same, what shoots good in one of mine doesn't mean they shoot good in yours, I have 2 Marlin 917s, they don't shoot the same ammo! :-\ I have to mark on the ammo box what gun to use it in. :D

I have 6-18x, 6-20x and 4-16x power scopes on my 17hmrs, they're accurate enough to use better scopes with a bit more power and an AO. ;)

Check out Varmint Al's 17hmr page, he's got trajectory charts and more good stuff than anyone else on the net.

Tim

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

#6 ·
When I got my M2 over a yr ago I found a supply of first production run Hornady for $5 a box shipped bought all 5000 rounds he had resold some of it to friend but kept 2500 for me and I'm glad I did. Have been looking for 17HMR for over a yr and am now way behind in getting any good deals on this stuff any more should of bought when it was$9 a box :'( Kurt PS mine likes dirty also.

#7 ·
Was in Cabelas in Ft. Worth yesterday after reading here, they had Hornady 17hmr
on sale for $9.99 a box, after hearing about prices going up in Jan. I bought 4 boxes,
ever thing else was $12-13
They had Hornady 204 for $16.99, don't know if it was a good deal but it was about 5-10
less than every thing else

#9 ·
We have been paying about 12.99 a box for the Hornady stuff for a while here. I just buy a brick at a time and get a little better deal.
It's what my rifle likes best do I just buy it.
If your looking for fun, cheap reactive targets. Buy a 5 pound bag of baking potatoes. At my range we call them simu squirrels. Big white ball. And Bio degradable.
McDuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.