Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got it. 1971 according to the serial no. The hammer has a 'nose' in it with a slot to turn for rim or centerfire. The nose drops out.

I am 'assuming' from looking at a rough schematic that there are detents and a spring that goes in the crosshole in the nose that holds it in place. These are missing.

Where do I get the little detents and spring please? Or what else can I do?

Barrel is 10" rimfire. Crown looks messy but I gotta shoot it to find out.

Anyway it feels good but I need the detents and spring for the hammer nose I think.

Please help...

Thanks, Tom.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
you may be able to get the parts or a whole hammer assembly from Ed's Contenders out in Tulsa. www(dot)edstc(dot)com - if you want to stay the original route. You can also send it in to TC and they will update it to the newer hammer style. I had mine done last year and took about a 2 week turn-around at that time. That was pre-move so I don't know how things are now that S&W is taking care of things. BTW I left mine as yours is right now for probably 15 years. Never needed rimfire ability anyhow so all I did was stick a short length of nail in the cross hole to hold the firing pin striker in place. Crude and simple but it kept me working till I decided otherwise.

Ron

rdlange said:
So I finally got it. 1971 according to the serial no. The hammer has a 'nose' in it with a slot to turn for rim or centerfire. The nose drops out.

I am 'assuming' from looking at a rough schematic that there are detents and a spring that goes in the crosshole in the nose that holds it in place. These are missing.

Where do I get the little detents and spring please? Or what else can I do?

Barrel is 10" rimfire. Crown looks messy but I gotta shoot it to find out.

Anyway it feels good but I need the detents and spring for the hammer nose I think.

Please help...

Thanks, Tom.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Thought of that but I need to swap rimfire & centerfire.

Got creative with a piece of Bic lighter spring and two 3/32 ball bearings. Slide the nose piece into a short length of plastic tube [BP pen tube] to hold together, slip the nub end of the nose piece into the hammer and push nose back out of the tube into the hammer with a short dowel. Works now.

Should have thought a bit first before I posted the question.

Interesting pistol. Not light either. Waiting for my scope and mount.

Be well...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.