Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of a short light shotgun I have a 28 ga. youth, so I'm going to order a synthetic adult stock and store arm from midway and add a hi-vis sight and nylon sling. I am working on a 490 round ball in a shot cup load with some success . shells are smaller than 20 or 12 and a couple of pumpkin ball slug for a coyote and I should be ready for a woods walk.
What do you think?
Roy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey plumberroy I like that idea! I like the smallbore guns. I agree with quickdtoo, might find a better stock. Hows that 490 ball for accuracy? Good luck with it. yar62<><

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not found midway to be higher than any where else on shipping plus the choate brand stock has sling swivel already on it plus I usually get any thing I order from midway in three days everything I've ordered from n.e.f. has taken 10 to 18 day to get I don't like the feel of the tamer or survivor stock and true thumb hole stock don't work well with left handers the synthetic stock could hold a first aid kit in the hollow. i am getting some groups of around 4" at 40 yards with the round balls
Roy

·
Super Moderator
51,145 Posts
The H&R stocks are Choate brand, they make all of the H&R synthetic stocks. UPS shipping from Midway to me for the Tamer stock and storend forend is $9.54, H&R's shipping is almost half that at $5.50. I'd be happy to wait a few days to save half on shipping, of course if ya need it sooner, that's a different story. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
patients is not one of my virtues [lol] up late tonight Quick ? I'm just getting home from work
Roy

·
Super Moderator
51,145 Posts
Naw, it's only 10:36pm here on the west coast, no work here either, I'm retired. :D

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
The adult synthetic stock and the storearm forend is a great combo. It's how I have my walkin' around gun set up. look at my avatar. I keep meaning to get together some 28 ga slugs. To many other projects right now. You can ordrer those stocks right from choate as well

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tim
I forgot you live on the left coast It was 1:30 am here I don't know about the "retired" part I just plain Tired. sent you an email
Roy

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have always wondered, which way does the 28ga lean more closely. Is it closer in firepower to a 20ga or 410? Since I like short barrels and the 28ga comes in a youth 22" I have given it some thought, but really don't know much about them. Any comments on that, guys?

cookiemann

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
The 28 leans much closer to the performance of the 20 gauge. It is one of those special gauges that just seems to work. I think it's because with a 7/8 once payload it is what the Brits call a square load. I really can't tell the difference in performance within about 30- yards or so between the 20 and 28 gauge= except for the lighter weight and lively feel.
It seems to me that the trend over the last 10 years or so has been to hot rod the 20 gauge in to a 12 gauge lite while the 28 has been left alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my attitude about it.
In my opinion the 28 gauge is the shotgun kids should learn on not the 410.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: new project : 28ga. walkabout gun update

I have my stock and forearm in and mounted I took it to the club with my thrower yesterday the longer stock make it a totally different gun 9 out of 10 on clay birds. went for a walk this morning and this thing is a joy to carry I have ordered a but plate to replace the recoil pad. did not get to use it on game today but that all right this morning was more about sitting on a stump and enjoying a perfect fall morning I did discover that you can engage a bucks warp drive with a hickory nut and a flipjack
Roy

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I'm just a simple Delaware country boy so please pardon my ignorance,but what is a flipjack?

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
This born and bred New Englander would like to know what "flipjack" refers to also...Thanks....<><....:)

If you tell me what a "flipjack" is I will tell you what a "Gorby" is.... ;)

·
Super Moderator
51,145 Posts
Is that anything like a flapjack!! ;D

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have owned a H&R 28 ga. for years now and love it. And yes I agree the 28 should be what a young person learns on not a .410. I have taken squirrel and rabbit and grouse with my 28 ga Now the shells may cost a little more but hey I can live with that.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
Boy, I could really go for a short stack of flapjacks right now with a side of corned beef hash, some home fries, a couple of slow fried eggs, real maple syrup, some home made Texas Toast with butter and a big cup of black coffee!!! Now you did it Tim, you made me hungry!!!....<><....:)

·
Super Moderator
51,145 Posts
Man, that's sounds great, I haven't had flapjacks for a loooong time, maybe that's what I'll make for dinner tonight!! :D

Tim

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
Maybe some day we could all get together for the "Great Handi Rifle and Graybeards Family Meal"....<><....:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts