Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard anything about the new pump that Remington has come out with?

I saw it on the Outdoor Channel just a few days ago!

It is designed and advertised as "IDEAL" for Law Enforcement!

Chambered for .223 Remington!
Takes an AR or M-16 magazine!
Shooting was pretty accurate!

I checked the Remington web site and haven't seen anything on it!

·
2,402 Posts
yeah its on remington's website. click on the tactical or law enforcement link...i forget which its called.

it has a lot of cool stuff for police use.

-Matt

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link!

To bad it's only available to Military & Police!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
That would really mess up either a deer's, or some perp's day! :) :D You're right, too bad it isn't avaliable to civillians!

·
2,402 Posts
its just a gun. why wouldnt it be available? we can buy AKs, so why not these? did you guys check to see if we can buy em?

-Matt

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Well maybe the fact that among the terms like "Federal agencies", "Security", "Corrections"...there's no thing that says "Civillians". That's kinda like how civillians can't buy some police equipment. Ya kno? Just not permitted :cry:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Well, I suppose JP was wrong again :oops:

Anybody want some perp practice? :) :D

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Well, I suppose JP was wrong again
Perhaps not. The rifle for sale does not appear to come with the AR-15 mazagine option, it is just a standard 7600 with short barrel, parkerized finish and special sights. My guess is that the large capacity ability is what keeps the 7615P out of civilian hands. Excessive magazine capacity causes crime! :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry to give you guys the wrong impression. Although this rifle is marketed through Remington's law-enforcement division, sales are not restricted to L.E.O.s or agency purchases. Any stocking Remington dealer should be able to order this rifle for you (local regulations not withstanding). Since it is shipped from the factory with a 10 round magazine, it's even legal for civilian purchase here in the communist state of NJ!

The only problem you may run into is availability (at first). When Remington first came out with the 7600P in .308 Winchester, it was had to find for awhile until manufacturing caught up with demand.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The original concept behind this rifle was twofold. First, Remington was looking to create a patrol rifle that police departments would easily be able to transition officers to, from the 870 pump shotgun. As you may or may not know, the Remington 870 pump shotgun has been & remains the most popular police issued shotgun of all time. Since most of the operating features are the same (except the magazines) the 7600 was the logical choice for this project.
Secondly, Remington was looking to develop a product to market to agencies who, for political reasons, were not purchasing "assault rifles" (ie. semi-auto AR-15/M-4 variations) for patrol use. Since this rifle is nothing more than a (highly) modified hunting rifle, available to civilians for decades, Remington hoped to avoid the stigma of assault rifle applied to any gun that is "mean looking" by the liberal left.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
That's some good thinking on Remington's part to say the least. :D

·
Registered
893 Posts
loaded4bear said:
Since it is shipped from the factory with a 10 round magazine, it's even legal for civilian purchase here in the communist state of NJ!
Hahahha, the simple things make me laugh :D

I used to think all the firearms labeled "Police" were off limits as well, but oh how that has changed over the years/

·
2,402 Posts
that was what i was referring to...that basically anything they can buy from a public company, we can too.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
That's a real good question...:?

·
Registered
157 Posts
The most likely reason this rifle is not offered in 6.8 SPC is that it's being marketed squarely to the law enforcement community, which so far, has shown zero interest in this cartridge.

The impetus behind the 6.8 SPC was the development of a cartridge that would provide more downrange energy than the 5.56 mm, but still function in the A-2/ M-4 platform. This came at the request of special forces units who were dissatisfied with the performance of the 5.56 while engaging targets at long distance (400-500 meters) in Afghanistan.

Military & law enforcement needs are often quite different, due to the nature of the environments each operates in, which accounts for the lack of cross-over for the 6.8 SPC.

If that weren't enough, the law enforcement community as a whole is slow to embrace new ideas, which would even further slow the acceptance of this new round. A perfect example of this is the resistance of departments to transition from the ol' six shooters to auto pistols in the 1980's, despite most of the criminal element already possessing such weapons & outgunning the police at that time.

The sporting community (hunters) also showed an early interest in this cartridge, but again, the 7615P was not designed as a hunting rifle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I emailed Remington a while back, and they said it was supposed to come out in the 3rd quarter. Besides, what's the rush. Without ammo in 6.8, it would just be a big ackward club to swing. Sure, you can get brass (from time to time) and roll your own I guess, if you have the set up, but not everyone does. So until then, kick back, put your feet up, dump another cold one down your throat, and daydream a little. That's what I do. :grin:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts