Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to purchase a new rifle in 270 caliber in stailess steel. This is what I can get and the prices are based on base price, I have to add 10% plus s&h.

1. Remington 700 BDLSS, synethtic stock 24" barrel 509.95
2. Remington 700 BDLSSDM, synethtic stock, 24" " 555.95
3. Remignton Mountain Rifle, DM 519.95
4. Savage SS, Laminated Stock, 24" barrel 328.50
5. Tikka Whitetail, 22 1/2" Barrel SS, synthetic stock 379.95
6. Weatherby Vanguard, Synthetic, 24" barrel ss 426.95
7. Howa Barrel Action, SS, 24" barrel 294.95
(Add 113.00 for laminated stock from Boyd's)

I just purchased a new Howa 308 and added lamintated stock and I'm having my gunsmith now to pillar bed and free float the barrel. I was impressed with it and how easy the trigger adjustment was. I also own a Remington BDL SS in 7-08 that I wouldn't trade for anything for that I got at a gun show couple of years ago for 400.00 that I have shot two trophy bucks in Wyoming at 413 and 417 yds. and thats with the factory synthetic stock. I would have to purchase a laminated stock for it that drives the price up another 113.00 from Boyd's.

I never handled a Tikka, but I've seen pictures of them and two thinks I don't like is it looks like the palm swell is big and I hear they have plastic trigger guards. I won't purchase anything with plastic on it unless I can replace them. Is their aftermarket trigger guard and shoud.

Savage has excellent accuracy, but you have to replace the trigger with an aftermarket trigger, no big deal for me, but comes with laminated stock already which is what I wanted.

Weatherby Vanguard I have never seen, but since Howa makes them and I just purchase one I guess its the same rifle. I don't know if the finish is different.

This got windy, sorry, but given all that and I can purchase anyone of these I want, which one would you select and why. Given one fact and that a rifle is just a tool that delivers a projectle now range at a given point, at a given distance. Now how well that rifle performs that function is the true test, not how great it looks. No deer, elk, caribou were killed by looks.

Thanks for all the help, hope this gets some discussion going of this subject given that every person has a reason for buying a certain rifle.

Buck

·
Registered
12 Posts
which 270?

i'm one of those savage freaks! i'd go with #4 and at the same time you order the rifle, use some of the money you just saved and order a sss trigger. that way you don't have the frustration of a marginal trigger. i'm sure you've read about the out of the box accuracy of savage rifles. it's all TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I would wait until Tikka comes out with the T3 Stainless. I too hate the plastic shroud, but, although it has no adverse affect on the rifle, perhaps the new T3s won't have it. Regardless, the Tikkas probably have the best quality of all of the rifles you mentioned.

If you can't wait, then I would get the Remington BDL SS and try and get an aftermarket HS Precision or McMillan stock. Other than that, you need to have a competent gunsmith do a trigger job and set it at a level you feel most comfortable with. I personally like 3 pounds.

As for the BDL SS DM, I have two of them and do not think that they are worth the extra price. Remington should have placed O-rings around the magazines because they can be noisy in the field because they rattle a bit. I have the regular BDL SSs too and I like them better.

Zachary

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New rifle 270

Gentlemen,

This is the kind of feed back I'm looking for, I'm not in a hurry, but does anyone know when the T-3's will be out. thanks.

Buck

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
The new T3s should be out sometime in this Spring.

BTW, I wanted to respond to your comment about the palm swell. Yes, it is larger, and some people don't like it, but I actually prefer it. As I said, I have a Tikka laminated stainless, and I feel as if the bigger palm swell gives me more control. I have heard that the Remington PSS (Police) stocks also have bigger palm swells - maybe there's a reason for it?

Zachary

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What rifle to buy 270

Gentlemen, what bothers me and I never used to have this problem before I started to read forums, but listing to everyone about all the different manufactures on different post is:

1. Quality control and how well a certain brand will fire over another.
Howa rifles, great rifles, great accuracy, next guy comes along and
says they are a piece of trash. Remington's quality control is
spotty and another says they are great, Winchester is a hit or miss,
Ruger is a toss up, barrels are bad on some, etc.
Savage bad triggers and bolts actions are not smooth, Tikka
is a great rifle, but has plastic tirgger guards, etc. Doesn't give a
man that warm feeling.

It really makes a man nervous and he starts thinking well, I'm taking pot luck here, if I get a good one great, if not, now I've got to send it down the road and lose money on the deal and start over.

What did one man say "Never take council of your fears".

People just work to hard for their money now days and most don't want to have to revisit the same thing twice. It seems like for every up side to these rifles theirs a down side depending who you are talking to.

Buck

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
DBUCK; You are correct that is why its best to get a few opinion of various brands and go to a gunshop/ gunshow/ or to a couple gunshops and try the fit and feel of the various rifles in question, there isnt a rifle out there that is a fits all does it all for everybody all the time, but you are on the right stay with the names you are familar with they have been around a long time and they will continue to be around, yes quality does slip and I would not want to be the person who had his life depending on a rifle and in the back of my mind was wondering about the quality. With all that said go fourth and buy a decent remington bdl in the 270 you will be satisfied. :D JIM

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would go Savage then the tikka and then the Howa. If all those were out of the question then I would learn to throw rocks accurately before I purchased a Rem or Win.

In humor guys, no hate mail please.

·
698 Posts
Not hate mail Jamie, but I would love to sit next to you with my stock M788's in .243 and .308 and see who comes up with better groups. The only complaint I have on the 788's is that they have triggers you must become accustomed to to do well with. Never owned a 700, but I love my M70 stainless FWT classic in .30-06, it's a darn good rifle. But this is turning into a Ford vs. Chevy debate, both will work, it's just in your head which one works better.
Selmer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best rifle for 270

Gents, I think their are some real valid points being made on this topic, I was at Gander Mountain today and the only 270 they had was a Ruger II SS with laminated stock and 22". It felt good, but I thought it was a little on the light side, but it really look good, now how it shoots only time will tell if you purchased it. Will be looking at all major brands then come up with the one I like the best, not the cheapest, but the best I feel for the money I spend.

Regards,

Doug

·
698 Posts
I'm with Zachary, I've never liked Rugers much, just a personal taste matter. I like my Winchester FWT Stainless classic in .30-06 with a walnut stock, beautiful rifle and fits me just right.
Selmer

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sorry Guys, just figured I would throw some real gas on the fire. :-D :-D
I did own a Rem 700 Classic in 300 Win Mag with a Leupold 3.5x10x50 Tactical w/ mil-dot reticle. I got it to where it would shoot in the .3" area when I am on and .6 if I'm not. Thing is The Savage I owned performed the same give or take a .1" but it was half the price. I also have a 60's era Rem in 222Rem Mag and it shoots sub .5

It just lately Rem and Win quality is shoddy, and for the prices if they can't provide a quality product then I won't even recomend them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Look, we all agree! I never like Ruger rifles either. :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'm with you gents, I never could warm up to a Ruger, but it did look nice. The CZ American could be the way to go and I want to look at one. Got a gun show coming up in April and you never know what you might fine out. Also, nobody mention Howa which for the money is a great gun, easy trigger adjustment and you can get it in ss with a laminated stock or you can order one from Bloyd's.

Buck

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
DBUCK: I apologise for some reason I was under the impression you you were looking for a higher $$ firearm I agree with you the howa 1500 is a fine rifle for the money actually its a real nice rifle I own one myself and it has become my daily take with me rifle, its in 223 and I love it, a good friend of mine who owns a pawn shop just had one come in 30-06 synthetic and if the economy stays like it is that rifle may be coming to the house to sit in the safe at night next to the other one. whatever you decide remember half the fun of buying a new gun is getting to fondle all of your choices. :D JIM

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Zach, you are right CZ doesn't make a ss, I would have to buy a blue one.
I hear they are great rifles, but the wood stocks is not much to brag about and I don't know anyone that makes a lamanited stock for CZ 550's. Anyone know.

Jhm, I have a Howa 1500 in 308, that I purchased last month, and put a lamanited stock by Boyd's on it and its at the gunsmith to be pillar bedded and free float the barrel. Trigger is sure easy to adjust.

Ruger is out. Winchester is out.

Savage is questionable, I know it will shoot, no question about it, don't mine buying an aftermarket trigger for it either, but the bolt is really hard to work. I purchased a 10FP in 308 for my son and I just don't like the bolt, its not slick.

Could be we might be getting down to a Remington, Howa, CZ and like i stated I would have to get the CZ in blue. Savage would come in fourth just because of the bolt

Buck

1 - 20 of 47 Posts