Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new Survivor in 308 and in sighting it in ran into this problem:
Brass fails to eject approx 50% of the time after firing. Clear round with Rod and may shoot 3/4 more times, than fail again.
I'm shooting factory Rem Core-Lok 150 loads. Rifles grouping 1-hole @ 50/yards out of the box

A friend that has a Sportster in 22-Jet and has the same problem and is very disappointed with his NEF.
Since I got this for primarily a deer rifle, any suggestions? I'd like to be able to get a 2nd round off if needed!

·
Registered
490 Posts
The FAQs and help section and the Handi 101 section cover this and a multitude of other problems and such. A virtual plethora of Handi info!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Clean your chamber real good, a little oil or cleaning solvent can cause sticky cases. On one of my Contender barrels if I don't swab the chamber with alcohol or acetone after every cleaning I get sticky cases. As Guy said, there is a lot of good info in the FAQs and help section, it pays to read it.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
NEF-17 said:
Just got a new Survivor in 308 and in sighting it in ran into this problem:
Brass fails to eject approx 50% of the time after firing. Clear round with Rod and may shoot 3/4 more times, than fail again.
I'm shooting factory Rem Core-Lok 150 loads. Rifles grouping 1-hole @ 50/yards out of the box

A friend that has a Sportster in 22-Jet and has the same problem and is very disappointed with his NEF.
Since I got this for primarily a deer rifle, any suggestions? I'd like to be able to get a 2nd round off if needed!
Try a different manufacture of ammo...I have had some real lousy luck with any Remington ammo of late...especially with the 150 & 180 grain loads...

Mac

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
NEF-17 said:
Would that be a re-chambered Sportster barrel on a centerfire frame? The Jet was known for extraction problems even with factory loads in factory chambers, that being perhaps why it became obsolete almost the day it was announced. Now you know why H&R went to extractors, the spring powered ejector just doesn't always work with a slightly sticky case.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
What are the first two letters of your serial #.
A new survivor should not eject ever.
It should extract.

I agree with polishing the chamber.
If that doesn't work try the BB trick in FAQs.

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Just because a firearm on the shelf is NIB, doesn't mean it's a recent production. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have the SB2 handi in 30-06 and from time to time I always seem to run into problems with empty cases fired ejecting
I thought it was my loads but I reload on the mid rage and favor low side of reloading.I got so Fed up I took the ejector apart and found the spring was placed in by the factory on a angle.I polished the parts with 1500 wet and dry straighten the spring and reasseblied the parts
I have to say no more problems cases just fly over my shoulder.
I just may to a trigger job during the winter months

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
quickdtoo said:
Just because a firearm on the shelf is NIB, doesn't mean it's a recent production. ;)

Tim
Just curious. I have seen up to 5 year old Handis locally.
Saturday I saw a new Rem 700 BDL chambered in 300 savage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts