Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the range today to get a few shots in before next weekend and my 270 Vanguard with the Stainless and synthetic pkg. would not group worth a poop. Two weeks ago I was shooting .75 - 1.0" groups using Remington Core-Lokts 130gr. bullets. Today with the Federal Fusion and Core-Lokts I was not able to group at all.
After many rounds and regular cleaning with a Bore snake I decided to check all of the screws. The scope was tight but the two action screws required tightening about 3/4 of a turn. What causes them to work lose and what can be done to prevent this from happening again? I did tighten the front screw first.
Even after tightening the screws and cleaning once again, my groups were around 4" at 100 yards. This does not make me feel that confident taking my new gun out with me on opening weekend.
Any suggestions is appreciated.

TX7Mag

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thread tape will help bolts from loosening. Make sure they are not overtorqued. This will cause the action to stress, may throw shots.

Were your cold barrel shots on target and subsequent shots off, or were they all bad?

Shots flying after the barrel warms up may be because the barrel is touching the stock somewhere. How long were you waiting between shots?

Did your gun get bumped or dropped lately? Scope may be bad.

Try a different scope on the vanguard. Try the vanguards scope on another gun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestions. All shots were from a cool to warm barrel. I never let it get hot to the touch. Today I took my time and allowed 4-5 minutes between shots. Toady's temp might have hit 82 degrees.

As far as the screws go, I tightend them up really good but did not go overboard in doing so. What would be considered over torquing them?

TX7Mag

·
Registered
879 Posts
Not sure on the torquing specs on the vanguard, hopefully someone will chime in. Of course, a properly bedded action (pillar or skim) will reduce the effects of action stress.

If this is an older gun that has proven itself in the past, I would look into scope issues first. I've had my fair share of scopes that bought the farm in between seasons.

I'd also use whatever ammo has proven reliable in the past, no matter the cost. Ain't no time for experimenting, this close to the season.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just purchased this gun back in early Sept. and have added a brand new Bushnell elite scope that is sitting on Leuplod bases and rings.

I am at a loss since only two weeks ago I was shooting 1" and less for 3 shot groups. And no, the gun has not been dropped, kicked, used as a pry bar or sledge hammer. :)

TX7Mag

·
Registered
879 Posts
Just confirming that the scope you had the good groups with is the one that's on it now. You say you "added" the scope, so I just want to make sure.

The Elite with quality rings should be the ticket, but sudden change in quality of groups, all other things being similar, screams "scope"

Have someone else fire the gun, perhaps its a parallax issue.

Are you shooting it the same way, i.e. rest and or bipod. Not applying support under the barrel, correct?

Check the crown to make sure its not damaged. Also, examine the barrel to make sure your not fouling abnormally. I had a gun once that started throwing bullets, and it turned out to be a burr or bad rifling cut that came loose after the first 20 rounds or so. Caused a lot of fliers till I wore it out by shooting a lot. I found it when the brass rod I was using to clean came out scratched.

I feel your pain. Close to season and questionable accuracy. I'd be "crappin razorblades" till I got it figured out.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Did you use the same bullet weight Core-Lokt's as before???

Did you get all the copper fouling out when you cleaned your rifle??

If you have time---try putting the old scope back on and see what happens----you might have just purchased a bad scope is all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The scope is the only one that I have had on this gun. And i Have kept it clean at the range as well as cleaned real well when i get home from the range using Hoppe's #9.

I have used the same bullets, same weight, same lot.

TX7Mag

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
TX7Mag said:
Went out to the range today to get a few shots in before next weekend and my 270 Vanguard with the Stainless and synthetic pkg. would not group worth a poop. Two weeks ago I was shooting .75 - 1.0" groups using Remington Core-Lokts 130gr. bullets. Today with the Federal Fusion and Core-Lokts I was not able to group at all.
After many rounds and regular cleaning with a Bore snake I decided to check all of the screws. The scope was tight but the two action screws required tightening about 3/4 of a turn. What causes them to work lose and what can be done to prevent this from happening again? I did tighten the front screw first.
Even after tightening the screws and cleaning once again, my groups were around 4" at 100 yards. This does not make me feel that confident taking my new gun out with me on opening weekend.
Any suggestions is appreciated.

TX7Mag
Real simple...dump the Remington ammo...I have found it to be the culprit 99% of the time when problems crop up unexpectedly...and not just in the 270 ammo line either...Not only with heaps pace issues...but with copper fouling as well...so...I would clean it real good...and just shoot another brand by itself..and see how it does...The Vanguard's all have a issue with the action screws becoming loose..You need to call one of the repair centers or the factory...I forget the correct tension that is required on them...but I think it's 60ft.lbs. on the front...and 45 on the rear...and use a little red loc-tite on them...

Mac

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I see a bore snake mentioned for cleaning. Now do you have a proper cleaning rod and bronze brushes?

If not you need to get some and clean that barrel carefully and properly and make sure it's not fouled with copper as it sure sounds liek you might have a fouled bore. Good luck with finding and sorting the problem.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Stick with the Remington Core-Locts. They are about as good as hunting ammo gets. Blue Loc-Tite on your action screws will keep them from backing out.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It sounds like u might have a scope problem,just because the scopes new and u have shot your rifle some dont mean the scope cant go bad on u i would try another scope and see what happens, and are u cleaning your rifle barrel alott i know there is some rilfes that like a fouled barrel to shoot well and i have a new A_Bolt thats like that and i would stick with the core loks also so ease up on the cleaning and try that and i second the blue loc-tite u use red u might not get the screw back out ever again

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Just how are you cleaning your rifle with your bore snake?
If you are getting uniformly bad groups with the Rem and Federal ammo you can kinda forget the slam against the Rem ammo. Probably more deer killed with Rem ammo than all the rest combined.
The comment about trying another scope has value also. Or at least take it off the rifle and put it back on making sure the bases are on tight (with a little lok tite or finger nail polish on the threads) and the rings are the same.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Ya---NEVER use red Loctite on a firearm----blue only.

Try some Sweets 7.62 to get the copper fouling out and get a proper cleaning kit.

As said before----try checking you scope mounts for tightness.

If all else fails---take the scope back and get a new one----with an eye on stepping up to at least a Leupold or Burris. Sorry---not a fan of Bushnell or Nikon scopes.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
The Bushnell Elite series are as good as anything you can buy at any price. I'd check the mounts and rings.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I've compared the Bushnell Elite series to many Zeiss and other European (and American) scopes costing much much more, and I'll stick with the Bushnell 3200/4200 thanks. You just can't beat a Bushnell Elite even for 3 times the money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the confusion that I may have caused with some of my posts.

After each day at the range I carefully and diligently clean the gun from top to bottom with a real cleaning kit, lots of #9, patches, scrubbing etc. It probably takes me an hour to an hour and a half to clean my rifle. After cleaning I run my dry patches through until they are clean, then I saturate a patch with #9 run it through and lay the gun down for the night (level so that all of the gunk does not run back into the action) then the following night I reclean the barrel. I only rely on the Bore-Snake for "field cleaning".

I originally sighted my gun in with the 130gr. Core-Lokts and was getting my 3/4-1" groups. Last Sunday I went out with 130gr. Federal Fusion and Core-Lokt's. Neither one would group worth a hoot, so I can't blame either ammo.

I will remove the scope and check the bases to ensure that they are still tight, As they should be, I used BLUE lock-tite on them when I mounted the base and the rings. The only screws that did not receive lock-tite were the action screws.

Thanks for the suggestions.

TX7Mag

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Hummm! I hardly ever clean my barrels. Maybe once a year after hunting season. My rifles all shoot fine and have for years. I do wipe down the outside of the gun with an oily patch after each outing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I too thought that perhaps my barrel was too clean, but after 15-20 rounds I would presume that enough rounds have been fired to settle in the barrel with just enough fouling.

TX7Mag

1 - 20 of 32 Posts