Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 463 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts
Here is a picture of the original gun.

This gun was brought from Germany by one of the founders of the South African Miniature Cannon Club in Durban South Africa founded in the late 1960's. The gun was fired on a regular basis 30 years and was semi retired in the mid 90's. It is now only fired by guests and visitors to the SAMCC.

Thanks again to Brooks USA for producing this gun!

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. It's kind of a tradition here on our board to include a powder can in a cannon picture to give some real perspective. Irishman does that pretty well with the pictures of the cannons he builds that he post on his website.

But this is one of those times when his picture only has about 750 words...

South African Miniature Cannon Club Cannon No. 1.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Beautiful barrel, job well done, Michael! You continue to produce quality items that are a pleasure to own! Jim

·
7,217 Posts
DD has discovered that no dimensions were put on the barrel drawings for the trunnions. A note has been applied to the list of drawings on the original thread and it will be repeated below:

Trunnion diameter = .625"

Distance between ends of trunnions = 3.235"

A comparison of the original barrel and the drawings will show that the trunnions have been brought up to the barrel centerline vs the low mount of the original.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Center line trunnions on the barrel will cause the barrel to sit lower in the carriage as shown in the drawings. A bit of modification may be required to compensate. I can't locate copies of the drawings, so I can't be more specific.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GGaskill said:
DD has discovered that no dimensions were put on the barrel drawings for the trunnions. A note has been applied to the list of drawings on the original thread and it will be repeated below:

Trunnion diameter = .625"

Distance between ends of trunnions = 3.235"

A comparison of the original barrel and the drawings will show that the trunnions have been brought up to the barrel centerline vs the low mount of the original.
George, Your prints are beautiful! First thing one does before making chips, is, sit down with the prints! There isn't a diameter on the trunnion, but the proportion is perfect! I simply put a scale on the trunnion, bingo, it obviously was .625.

Michael

·
7,217 Posts
I can't locate copies of the drawings, so I can't be more specific.

Drawings.

Sample (actually better than shows here due to automatic reduction of the forum software; click for the drawing itself) :

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts
Max said:
Center line trunnions on the barrel will cause the barrel to sit lower in the carriage as shown in the drawings. A bit of modification may be required to compensate. I can't locate copies of the drawings, so I can't be more specific.
You are right, but the only thing that might be affected is the transom...and that is maybe. Even then a few strokes with a round wood rasp will get the correct clearance.

1 - 20 of 463 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.