Graybeard Outdoors banner

New semiauto remifre 22 magnum savage rifle

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  cwlongshot 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen one or shot one? It sounds interesting to me if it's accurate and reliable.

#2 ·
I've seen the Remington 597 Magnum. It's been around for a good while and is supposed to be very accurate and reliable as long aa you don't take it apart. There seems to be some fragile "ears" on the front of the cast aluminum receiver that's easily damaged during disassembly or when tightening the screw that clamps the barrel in place. Retail is usually $400 to $450 with standard barrel and plastic stock. Bull barrel and laminated is a bit more.

I did see a Savage auto loader on youtube in one of the 17 Mag rimfires that came out last year. Seems like it was also plastic stocked, but with a new box mag like Ruger, Browning, or Remington.

#3 ·
Not a huge fan of the Savage RF line... But you know inAM a Maggie fan! ;)

I have. It seen this. I'll keep my eyes open and peruse u tube when I can to see what it might be.

Kinda hope not... Last two weeks I bought Maggie's... Need to pace myself better. ;)

CW

#5 ·
I looked at an A17. Stock seemed kinda cheesy and the barrel/receiver was painted. I was surprised about that because ones I'd seen online looked to be blued. Savage website says the finish is "high luster black."

Magazine looked cheap. Some reviewers say their mag falls out sometimes.

One guy posting a review noted that the delayed blowback lug on his rifle was showing undue wear after a few hundred rounds, and the bolt was shaving material off of the magazine.

It felt nice in hand and shouldered well. Kinda heavy for a rimfire at ~5.5# though. Add a scope and it's over 6#.

IMO it's not ready for prime time. I'll stick with my CZ 452 17 HMR for now.

#8 ·
Drilling said:
Victor3 said:
IMO it's not ready for prime time. I'll stick with my CZ 452 17 HMR for now.
AT LEAST the Savages safety works in the "proper" direction!! UNLIKE a 452's... lol

DM

I had extensive previous experience with wall-mounted light switches, so operation of the 452's safety came naturally to me. ;)

YMMV

#9 ·
The backward safety on the bolt CZ guns I've owned were a non problem for me. Guess I adapt well to backward safety's. I have a CZ 611A that I like but would like another one since my SIL is lusting after my 611. Maybe a new CZ is the answer.

I'm like CW though, I do love the 22mag but unlike him I don't spend the kids lunch money on them. Ha ha ha ;)

#10 ·
The other day, I bought a new Zastava 22lr, it's a nice 22, decent wood and all steel. It was well under $200.00 and came with "two" metal mags... AND the safety works in the --------------> RIGHT direction! lol

DM

#11 ·
Drilling said:
The other day, I bought a new Zastava 22lr, it's a nice 22, decent wood and all steel. It was well under $200.00 and came with "two" metal mags... AND the safety works in the --------------> RIGHT direction! lol

DM

cABELAS GOT A SHIPMENT OF THESE IN HERE TOO. iN both lr & mag!

i HAD ONE IN MY HANDS AND RESISTED. :)

wAS A NICE RIFLE AND SURE WILL BE A QUALITY PIECE. EASILY POLISHED UP TO BE FINE ADDITION TO ANYONES COLLECTION.

Good luck with yours!! (Damn caps lock... I need to super glue that button!!!! )

cw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.